Is ImageCache necessary?

mranim8or
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

mranim8or

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the ImageCache folder for? The folder I'm referring to is under c:\users\all users\MediaBrowser-Classic\ImageCache.  In my case it takes up a little over 2 gig (I have about 300 movies).  I am running Media Broswer Server and Media Broswer Classic on this single HTPC, the OS is of course on C, the movies are stored on a different drive.

From checking in the folders it appears that each individual movie folder on my media hard drive has the folder art, backdrops, etc on them. Is ImageCache used by the server or something? Or was it a temp folder which can simply be deleted?

Koleckai Silvestri

I would suspect it is used by Media Browser Classic so it doesn't have to pull those images from the server every time. My ImageCache is only 114 MB though and I have 347 movies currently and 86 television shows.

• Solution

We do maintain an image cache which is necessary.  However, it is not in the location you indicated.  It is in programdata\mediabrowser-classic\imagecache.

You can delete it (without MBC running) and it will re-generate (you will see slower response from MBC while this happens).  It is possible it will be smaller if you played around a lot with different image sizes or styles.

Koleckai Silvestri

I have exact duplicates in both locations:

c:\users\all users\MediaBrowser-Classic\ImageCache.

c:\programdata\MediaBrowser-Classic\ImageCache.

Pretty sure that c:\programdata is just an alias and its contents vary depending on the logged in user and what they are able to access.

Edit: actually it is the other way around... users/all users is an alias to programdata.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Edit: actually it is the other way around... users/all users is an alias to programdata.

Ah...yes.  Thx.

• 6 months later...
srgsng25

i really do not need teh image cache as its onlt 50-60gig and my poor media player only have a 80 gig drives for the heads while the main server is huge all this is on a gig network so i really need a way to limit the caching