[OT] - New Updated nVidia Shield TV announced at CES 2017

CBers

CBers

The new SHIELD will go on sale later this month - January 16th, according the Amazon listings for the SHIELD and SHIELD Pro. The basic 16GB version is $199.99, while the 500GB Pro model is $299.99, the same price as the current models.

The remote, which is now included with both models.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/04/nvidia-updates-the-shield-android-tv-with-a-smaller-body-and-a-new-controller-for-hands-free-voice-control/

• Like 4

MrWebsmith

in the video it shows amazon prime as an app.. that would be NEW and WELCOME to me...im sure and to others... hopefully that is "backwards compat." with the current gen shields...

CBers

in the video it shows amazon prime as an app.. that would be NEW and WELCOME to me...im sure and to others... hopefully that is "backwards compat." with the current gen shields...

Do you not already have it installed on your Shield TV though ;)

CBers

nope installs but doesnt work/run... on non-approved devices

I must be seeing things when I start it up then ;)

• Like 2

PhinkBig

Already pre-ordered...perfect timing now the the Emby app works with bitstreaming. Would be really cool if Emby can hook into the Google Assistant/Home commands...i.e. "Ok Google, play Arrow on Emby".

I think this finally has everything I need to move the Emby Server/Gaming rig to the closet...can use Emby for movies, and the Steam link app for gaming.

mastrmind11

and the Steam link app for gaming.

which works ridiculously well.

Edit:  Correction, I use the Geforce streaming app.  I thought the Steam link app required a separate Steam device? 

Edited by mastrmind11

PhinkBig

which works ridiculously well.

Edit:  Correction, I use the Geforce streaming app.  I thought the Steam link app required a separate Steam device? 

It was my understanding from the keynote that the Shield will be able to work just like the Steam Link, and stream games from your PC. I'm excited for this since I have an AMD card in my machine, and couldn't use the GeForce streaming.

jasonmcroy

Per the Nvidia website the OTA update will come to the existing Shield devices in January. The Pro version is exactly the same hardware-wise. The non-pro version just changes a few inputs (no micro SD card input).

I am happy I already own a Pro and non-pro since I do use the Micro SD slot in the non-Pro version.

I am looking forward to getting the AI Google assistant functionality.

Edited by jasonmcroy
  • Like 1

denzoid

I was on the new Shield TV site today (Jan. 5th) and I am not seeing Emby shown among all the apps that run on it....seems curious? :huh:  Plex (of course) and Kodi are shown, why not Emby?

• 2 weeks later...
CBers

If I order off Amazon now and it isn't designated as (2015) then it is the new one, right?

Should be, plus it should have the remote included for the same price.

Should be, plus it should have the remote included for the same price.

Yeah, the pictures look right in that they include remote (still with no play button : | ) and a different looking controller.  Thanks.

CBers

Yeah, the pictures look right in that they include remote (still with no play button : | ) and a different looking controller.  Thanks.

There's not a lot of difference between the old and new Shields themselves.

I bought one cos I wanted another one, not just because it was new;)

Your Emby ATV app works just fine from my usage (albeit the exoplayer issue I'm still seeing).

Edited by CBers

MrWebsmith

@@ebr and in the "new product pics" the height of the box itself is much closer to the height of the remote... that 40% shrink on the shield is reflected in that.. at least what i see on bestbuy.com or amazon

Edited by MrWebsmith

jasonmcroy

If I order off Amazon now and it isn't designated as (2015) then it is the new one, right?

I just looked for myself at the Nvidia Shields on Amazon and there is a date to the right of the name of the product in small letters that say the date of release. I think that is the best way to determine it. I even saw one Shield that was the 2015 unit and it says so in parenthesis. 

CBers

NVIDIA has started rolling out SHIELD Experience 5.0.2 (Nougat) to the original SHIELD Android TV.

Just received it on both of my 2015 Shields.

• Like 1

Actually if you click on the volume slider it is a play/pause button. It works on my 2015 version.

mastrmind11

NVIDIA has started rolling out SHIELD Experience 5.0.2 (Nougat) to the original SHIELD Android TV.

Just received it on both of my 2015 Shields.

Confirmed, mine just updated.  And all the audio goodness working ootb.  

Actually if you click on the volume slider it is a play/pause button. It works on my 2015 version.

On the new one, you have to double-click it.  I couldn't get it to work on my old version so maybe it is a part of the new 5.0 Shield OS.

Sorry, you are right, I have to double click it, but it does work on the 2015 Shield with the old controller after the 5.02 upgrade.

I would have love to have a button like in the Fire TV, but this works.

So far I don't see any issues with the update, other than when you arrange the apps the way you like them, and then you open an app, they seem to go back to the way they were, but if you arrange them the way you like them and the do a reboot, they will stick the way you arranged them.