Update Ubuntu 16.04.1 and Emby - Emby don´t start

YdQiE

Hello,

i update my Ubuntu and Emby and then Emby won´t start anymore

$ sudo service emby-server status
● emby-server.service - Emby Media Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enab
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mo 2017-01-02 20:51:46 CET; 3s ago
  Process: 3689 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 3664 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=126)
 Main PID: 3664 (code=exited, status=126)

Jan 02 20:51:46 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
Jan 02 20:51:46 EmbyServer su[3664]: Successful su for emby by root
Jan 02 20:51:46 EmbyServer su[3664]: + ??? root:emby
Jan 02 20:51:46 EmbyServer su[3664]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby
Jan 02 20:51:46 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=ex
Jan 02 20:51:46 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 02 20:51:46 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-cod

after do-release-upgrade i change my /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list to

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04/ / # Bei Aktuali$

i tried to uninstall emby and reinstall again without any success

sudo apt-get remove --purge emby-server
sudo apt-get autoremove

Now I hope that someone can give me a hint here ...

Thanks in advance

PS: Actually I wanted to post the log here, but I do not find it ...
locate emby-server shows me /var/lib/emby-server/logs, but when I change to the directory, this is blank. :wacko:

mastrmind11

Status code 126 generally means permission denied.  What's the output of systemd when you tell the Emby to start?

clarkss12

I have run into the same problem running Emby on the updated Ubuntu 16.04.1.  I am trying to run Emby on my Pine64 board (https://pine64.backerkit.com/sign_in) with an updated version of Ubuntu created by "longsleep" (http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=376&page=31).  To be noted, it ran great prior to this update, something about the mono messing something up ( I have no idea what that means, I just barely work through Linux commands).

Anyway, here are the errors and information from Putty.  One more piece of information, all the OS's run off a microSD card, so very easy to start over when I mess something up.

Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.10.104-2-pine64-longsleep aarch64)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
 * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
 * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage
Last login: Mon Jan  2 21:08:51 2017 from 192.168.10.102
ubuntu@pine64:~$

For xUbuntu 16.04 run the following:

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-

server.list"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install emby-server

ubuntu@pine64:~$ sudo apt-get install emby-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 emby-server : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 3.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-corlib4.5-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-microsoft-csharp4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-posix4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-core4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-data4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-drawing4.0-cil (>= 3.0.6) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-io-compression4.0-cil (>= 3.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-net-http4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-runtime-serialization4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-servicemodel4.0a-cil (>= 3.2.3) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-transactions4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-xml-linq4.0-cil (>= 3.0.6) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-xml4.0-cil (>= 3.12.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libembysqlite3-0 but it is not installable
               Depends: embymagick but it is not installable
               Depends: mono-devel (>= 4.6) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

mastrmind11

so what happens if you do sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server after doing the apt-get update?

clarkss12

so what happens if you do sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server after doing the apt-get update?

ubuntu@pine64:~$ sudo apt-get update
Hit:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial InRelease
Get:4 http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial-updates InRelease [102 kB]
Get:7 http://ports.ubuntu.com xenial-security InRelease [102 kB]
Fetched 205 kB in 2s (89.1 kB/s)
ubuntu@pine64:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 emby-server : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 3.0~) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-corlib4.5-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-microsoft-csharp4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-posix4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-core4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-data4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-drawing4.0-cil (>= 3.0.6) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-io-compression4.0-cil (>= 3.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-net-http4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-runtime-serialization4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-servicemodel4.0a-cil (>= 3.2.3) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-transactions4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-xml-linq4.0-cil (>= 3.0.6) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system-xml4.0-cil (>= 3.12.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmono-system4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: at but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libembysqlite3-0 but it is not installable
               Depends: embymagick but it is not installable
               Depends: mono-devel (>= 4.6) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

mastrmind11

have you tried to force it w/ the -f flag?

Edited by mastrmind11

Status code 126 generally means permission denied.  What's the output of systemd when you tell the Emby to start?

Before i´ve update there was no error with the permission.

Output of systemd? How i get this? Here the console when i stop, status and start again:

$ sudo service emby-server stop
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enab
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mo 2017-01-02 21:15:53 CET; 11min ago
  Process: 3971 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 3947 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server start (code=exited, status=126)
 Main PID: 3947 (code=exited, status=126)

Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer su[3947]: Successful su for emby by root
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer su[3947]: + ??? root:emby
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer su[3947]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=ex
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-cod
Jan 02 21:27:35 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Stopped Emby Media Server.
...skipping...
  Process: 3971 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/emby-server clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer su[3947]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=ex
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 02 21:15:53 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-cod

$ sudo service emby-server start
$

And thanks to @clarkss12 for the hijacking my thread :(

clarkss12

have you tried to force it w/ the -f flag?

In English please.  Haha, what command do I type?  -f ?

mastrmind11

Output of systemd? How i get this? Here the console when i stop, status and start again:

$ sudo service emby-server stop

...skipping...

$ sudo service emby-server start
$

And thanks to @clarkss12 for the hijacking my thread :(

126 means permission denied, so check syslog and dmesg for clues.  Updates sometimes go bad.  I've seen them happen with pretty much everything, so it's not like its Emby related.... the hard part is tracking down the issue, which is where logs are your friend.  Google apt-get status=126 and it might point you to something relevant.  FYI I've updated on .04 as well and had no issues, so its not distro specific.

mastrmind11

In English please.  Haha, what command do I type?  -f ?

sudo apt-get upgrade -f emby-server

man apt-get for all the info you could possibly want.

Via google i find this issue [sOLVED] 3.0.5816 unable to start emby-server (status126)
but in my /usr/bin/emby-server the line looks like different...

#!/bin/bash
# vim:set ft=sh sw=2 sts=2 st=2 et:
# Author: HurricaneHernandez <carlos@techbyte.ca>
# Modified for CentOS/Fedora by: FC7 <casasfernando@[member="outlook"].com>

DESC=EmbyServer
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
NAME=emby-server
CONF_FILE=/etc/${NAME}.conf
DEFAULT_FILE=/etc/default/${NAME}
SCRIPTNAME=/usr/bin/emby-server

# Source Emby server default configuration
. $DEFAULT_FILE

# Source Emby server user configuration overrides
if [[ -f $CONF_FILE ]]; then
  . $CONF_FILE
else
  echo "${CONF_FILE} not found using default settings.";
fi

# Ensure the runas user has restart privilege to restart the service if not try to add $
if [[ "$EMBY_USER" != "emby" ]]; then
  groups $EMBY_USER | grep -q emby
  if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
    if [[ $EUID -eq 0 ]]; then
      usermod -a -G emby $EMBY_USER
    else
      echo "WARNING: The runas user is not part of emby group and you don't have enough$
      echo "To solve this start the emby-server service using the startup scripts (syst$
      echo "add the runas user ($EMBY_USER) to the emby group manually and restart Emby$
    fi
  fi
fi

# Data directory where Emby database, cache and logs are stored
PROGRAMDATA=$EMBY_DATA
PROGRAMDATA_OPT="-programdata $PROGRAMDATA"

# Path to store PID file
PIDFILE=$EMBY_PIDFILE

# Full path of Emby binary
EMBY_EXEC=$EMBY_BIN

# Path of emby program files
EMBY_PATH=$EMBY_DIR

# path to mono bin
MONO_EXEC=$MONO_BIN

# umask
UMASK=${UMASK:-002}

# Mono environment variables
MAGICK_HOME_ENV="MAGICK_HOME=${EMBY_PATH}"
EMBY_LIBRARY_PATH=$(find /usr/lib/emby-server/ -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d| grep -v$
MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH_ENV="MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=$(find ${EMBY_LIBRARY_PATH} -typ$
MAGICK_CODER_MODULE_PATH_ENV="MAGICK_CODER_MODULE_PATH=$(find ${EMBY_LIBRARY_PATH} -typ$
#MONO_EXEC_ENV="$MONO_ENV ${EMBY_LIBRARY_PATH:+"LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${EMBY_LIBRARY_PATH}${L$
MONO_EXEC_ENV="$MONO_ENV LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${MAGICK_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$

# Mono options
MONO_EXEC_OPTS=$MONO_OPTS

# ffmpeg
FFMPEG_BIN=$(command -v ffmpeg)
[[ -n "$FFMPEG_BIN" ]] && FFMPEG_OPTS="-ffmpeg $FFMPEG_BIN"

# ffprobe
FFPROBE_BIN=$(command -v ffprobe)
[[ -n "$FFPROBE_BIN" ]] && FFPROBE_OPTS="-ffprobe $FFPROBE_BIN"

# restart function
RESTART_OPTS="-restartpath ${EMBY_PATH}/restart.sh"

# Emby options
EMBY_OPTS="$PROGRAMDATA_OPT $FFMPEG_OPTS $FFPROBE_OPTS $RESTART_OPTS $EMBY_ADD_OPTS"

PID_PATH=$(dirname $PIDFILE)

# Exit if the mono-sgen not installed
if [[ ! -x $MONO_EXEC ]]; then
  if [[ -n "$(command -v mono-sgen)" ]]; then
    MONO_EXEC=$(command -v mono-sgen)
  else
    MONO_EXEC=$(command -v mono)
  fi
fi

# Create programdata  directory if not exist and ensure the emby user can write to it
if [[ ! -d $PROGRAMDATA ]]; then
    mkdir -p $PROGRAMDATA
  else
    echo "WARNING: $EMBY_DATA directory does not exist."
    echo "To solve this, if it is an upgrade verify that \"EMBY_DATA\" is set to the co$
    echo "You may need to locate the path of your library files and set EMBY_DATA to th$
    echo "If this is an new installation please rerun last command with elevated permis$
  fi
fi

# Set right permission for directories
DATA_CURRENT_USER=$(ls -lad $PROGRAMDATA | awk '{print $3}')

if [[ "$DATA_CURRENT_USER" != "$EMBY_USER" ]]; then
    chown -R $EMBY_USER.$EMBY_GROUP $PROGRAMDATA
  else
    echo "WARNING: $EMBY_DATA directory does not have the correct permissions."
    echo "Please rerun this script with elevated permissions."
  fi
fi

case "$1" in
  start)
    echo $$ > $PIDFILE
    exec su -s /bin/sh -c 'umask $0; exec "$1" "$@"' $EMBY_USER -- \
      $UMASK env $MAGICK_HOME_ENV $MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH_ENV $MAGICK_CODER_MODULE_PA$
      $MONO_EXEC_ENV $MONO_EXEC $MONO_EXEC_OPTS $EMBY_EXEC $EMBY_OPTS
    ;;
  clear)
    [[ -e $PIDFILE ]] && rm -rf $PIDFILE
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME {start|clear}" >&2
    exit 3
    ;;
esac

clarkss12

And thanks to @clarkss12 for the hijacking my thread 
:(

My apologies, I thought I have the same problem as you and was offering my logs to supplement yours, hoping the resolution will solve my problems also.

clarkss12

sudo apt-get upgrade -f emby-server

man apt-get for all the info you could possibly want.

Not to offend nEiMi again, but I ran that command, but same issues. 

Thanks for the help.

Honestly, neither the logs nor google take me further ... maybe someone can still give me the ultimate tip ...

Here are some more infos:

$ journalctl  -p 0..7 -x -u emby-server
-- Logs begin at Mo 2017-01-02 20:26:53 CET, end at Di 2017-01-03 01:03:33 CET. --
Jan 02 20:35:01 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
-- Subject: Unit emby-server.service has finished start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit emby-server.service has finished starting up.
--
-- The start-up result is done.
Jan 02 20:35:01 EmbyServer su[3258]: Successful su for emby by root
Jan 02 20:35:01 EmbyServer su[3258]: + ??? root:emby
Jan 02 20:35:01 EmbyServer su[3258]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby
Jan 02 20:35:01 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=ex
Jan 02 20:35:01 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 02 20:35:01 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-cod
Jan 02 20:39:40 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
--
--
Jan 02 20:39:40 EmbyServer su[3398]: Successful su for emby by root
Jan 02 20:39:40 EmbyServer su[3398]: + ??? root:emby
Jan 02 20:39:40 EmbyServer su[3398]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby
Jan 02 20:39:40 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=ex
Jan 02 20:39:40 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 02 20:39:40 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-cod
Jan 02 20:41:04 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
--
--
Jan 02 20:41:04 EmbyServer su[3457]: Successful su for emby by root
Jan 02 20:41:04 EmbyServer su[3457]: + ??? root:emby
Jan 02 20:41:04 EmbyServer su[3457]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby
Jan 02 20:41:04 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=ex
Jan 02 20:41:04 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 02 20:41:04 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-cod
Jan 02 20:42:20 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
--
--
Jan 02 20:42:20 EmbyServer su[3531]: Successful su for emby by root
Jan 02 20:42:20 EmbyServer su[3531]: + ??? root:emby
Jan 02 20:42:20 EmbyServer su[3531]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby
Jan 02 20:42:20 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=ex
Jan 02 20:42:20 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 02 20:42:20 EmbyServer systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-cod
Jan 02 20:51:46 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
$ apt-cache policy emby-server
emby-server:
  Installiert:           3.1.2-12.1
  Installationskandidat: 3.1.2-12.1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 3.1.2-12.1 500
        500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04  Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$

My apologies, I thought I have the same problem as you and was offering my logs to supplement yours, hoping the resolution will solve my problems also.

Ok, but I do not think we have the same problem ...

Edited by nEiMi

First of all thanks for your reply...

Her the result of direct start service and my attempts to change the permissions:

$ sudo /usr/bin/emby-server start
[sudo] Passwort für emby:
env: »/usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu“: Keine Berechtigung
$ /usr/bin/emby-server start
/usr/bin/emby-server: Zeile 117: /var/run/emby-server.pid: Keine Berechtigung
Passwort:

$ ls -la
-rw-r--r--  1 root  root       5 Jan  2 21:09 emby-server.pid

$ sudo chmod +rwx /var/run/emby-server.pid

$ ls -la
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root       5 Jan  2 21:09 emby-server.pid

$ ls -la /usr/lib/emby-server
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 Jan  2 20:35 bin
drwxr-xr-x  4 emby emby 20480 Jan  2 17:09 dashboard-ui
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 Jan  2 20:34 etc
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   512 Dez 28 22:23 restart.sh
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root  4096 Jan  2 20:34 x86_64-linux-gnu

$ sudo chmod a+rwx /usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu

drwxrwxrwx  4 root root  4096 Jan  2 20:34 x86_64-linux-gnu

$ ls -la /usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu 
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    4096 Jan  2 20:34 EmbyMagick-6.9.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      31 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so -> libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      31 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2 -> libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1984568 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      31 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so -> libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      31 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2 -> libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1024064 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      23 Dez  3 22:52 libembysqlite3.so -> libembysqlite3.so.0.8.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      23 Dez  3 22:52 libembysqlite3.so.0 -> libembysqlite3.so.0.8.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1066272 Dez  3 22:52 libembysqlite3.so.0.8.6
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Jan  2 20:34 pkgconfig

$ cd /usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu
$ sudo chmod +rwx *.*
$ sudo chmod a+rwx *.*
drwxrwxrwx 4 root root    4096 Jan  2 20:34 EmbyMagick-6.9.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      31 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so -> libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      31 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2 -> libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1984568 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      31 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so -> libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      31 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2 -> libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1024064 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      23 Dez  3 22:52 libembysqlite3.so -> libembysqlite3.so.0.8.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      23 Dez  3 22:52 libembysqlite3.so.0 -> libembysqlite3.so.0.8.6
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1066272 Dez  3 22:52 libembysqlite3.so.0.8.6
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root    4096 Jan  2 20:34 pkgconfig

Unfortunately without success...

mastrmind11

Unfortunately I am out of ideas.  Hopefully someone will come along w/ a different approach.  Good luck.

geaves

First of all thanks for your reply...

Her the result of direct start service and my attempts to change the permissions:

[sudo] Passwort für emby:
$ /usr/bin/emby-server start
/usr/bin/emby-server: Zeile 117: /var/run/emby-server.pid: Keine Berechtigung
Passwort:

$ ls -la
-rw-r--r--  1 root  root       5 Jan  2 21:09 emby-server.pid

$ sudo chmod +rwx /var/run/emby-server.pid

$ ls -la
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  root       5 Jan  2 21:09 emby-server.pid

drwxr-xr-x  4 root root  4096 Jan  2 20:34 x86_64-linux-gnu

$ sudo chmod a+rwx /usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu

drwxrwxrwx  4 root root  4096 Jan  2 20:34 x86_64-linux-gnu

$ ls -la /usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu 
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    4096 Jan  2 20:34 EmbyMagick-6.9.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1984568 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1024064 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1066272 Dez  3 22:52 libembysqlite3.so.0.8.6
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Jan  2 20:34 pkgconfig

$ cd /usr/lib/emby-server/x86_64-linux-gnu
$ sudo chmod +rwx *.*
$ sudo chmod a+rwx *.*
drwxrwxrwx 4 root root    4096 Jan  2 20:34 EmbyMagick-6.9.6
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1984568 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickCore-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1024064 Dez  7 17:46 libEmbyMagickWand-6.Q8.so.2.0.0
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1066272 Dez  3 22:52 libembysqlite3.so.0.8.6
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root    4096 Jan  2 20:34 pkgconfig

Unfortunately without success...

I have been following this with interest, because rather than go down the dist-upgrade route I decided to a clean install of 16.04.....but I ran into my own problems with Emby, but it's all now sorted.

What put me off was the fact that would Emby still work after I did an upgrade to 16.04, I still look at myself as a noob as far as Ubuntu is concerned and I'll spend time researching. For whatever reason the dist-upgrade broke the original Emby install, even changing the sources list then doing an Emby upgrade appears not to have resolved it, hence it's failure to re install even using install -f which usually fixes dependency issues doesn't seem to work.

So during my searches there appears to an option to 'nuke' a failed installation which should resolve a complete removal of Emby.

This is the 'nuke' option I found after all else failed sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq package_name

Then a sudo apt-get update.....reboot.....then I would guess sudo apt-get autoremove.....reboot sudo apt-get update. Then try installing Emby again.

Another option I found was someone had used sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite but this pointed to a specific directory path and .deb file.  

This is the info regarding the 'nuke' option;

The force-remove-reinstreq is THE "nuclear option" of deleting a package. It only fails if there is another package depending on the one you're about to delete -- Again, in that case, deleted the depending package too.

Edited by geaves

I got it somehow :)

Here is what i did:

$ sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq emby-server
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge emby-server
$ sudo apt-get autoremove
$ sudo shutdown -r now
$ sudo updatedb
	# update locate database
$ locate emby-server
	# delete every folder and file include emby-server 
	# except the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list
/udo service emby-server status
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list.distUpgrade
/etc/rc0.d/K01emby-server
/etc/rc1.d/K01emby-server
/etc/rc2.d/S02emby-server
/etc/rc3.d/S02emby-server
/etc/rc4.d/S02emby-server
/etc/rc5.d/S02emby-server
/etc/rc6.d/K01emby-server
/usr/lib/emby-server
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/css
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/scripts
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/css/fonts
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/css/fonts/Roboto
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/scripts/jquery.min.map
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/scripts/jquery.min.map.save
/var/cache/apt/archives/emby-server_3.1.2-12.1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/emby-server_3.1.2-12.2_all.deb
/var/log/emby-server.log
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.1.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.2.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.3.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.4.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.5.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.6.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.7.gz
$ sudo rm /var/log/upstart/emby-server.*
$ sudo rm /var/log/emby-server.*
$ sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/emby-server_3.1.2-12*
$ sudo rm -r /usr/lib/emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc6.d/K01emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc5.d/S02emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc4.d/S02emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc3.d/S02emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc2.d/S02emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc1.d/K01emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc0.d/K01emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list.distUpgrade
$ sudo rm "/udo service emby-server status"
$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list
	# check if the correct path is entered
	# deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04/ /
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get -f install emby-server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor pres
   Active: active (running) since Mi 2017-01-04 23:27:10 CET; 22s ago
 Main PID: 3018 (su)
   CGroup: /system.slice/emby-server.service
           ‣ 3018 su -s /bin/sh -c umask $0; exec "$1" "$@" emby -- 002 env MAGI

Jan 04 23:27:10 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
Jan 04 23:27:10 EmbyServer su[3018]: Successful su for emby by root
Jan 04 23:27:10 EmbyServer su[3018]: + ??? root:emby
Jan 04 23:27:10 EmbyServer su[3018]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for usloc

• Like 1

geaves

I got it somehow :)

Here is what i did:

$ sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq emby-server
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge emby-server
$ sudo apt-get autoremove
$ sudo shutdown -r now
$ sudo updatedb
	# update locate database
$ locate emby-server
	# delete every folder and file include emby-server 
	# except the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list
/udo service emby-server status
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list.distUpgrade
/etc/rc0.d/K01emby-server
/etc/rc1.d/K01emby-server
/etc/rc2.d/S02emby-server
/etc/rc3.d/S02emby-server
/etc/rc4.d/S02emby-server
/etc/rc5.d/S02emby-server
/etc/rc6.d/K01emby-server
/usr/lib/emby-server
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/css
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/scripts
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/css/fonts
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/css/fonts/Roboto
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/scripts/jquery.min.map
/usr/lib/emby-server/dashboard-ui/scripts/jquery.min.map.save
/var/cache/apt/archives/emby-server_3.1.2-12.1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/emby-server_3.1.2-12.2_all.deb
/var/log/emby-server.log
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.1.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.2.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.3.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.4.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.5.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.6.gz
/var/log/upstart/emby-server.log.7.gz
$ sudo rm /var/log/emby-server.*
$ sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/emby-server_3.1.2-12*
$ sudo rm -r /usr/lib/emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc6.d/K01emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc5.d/S02emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc4.d/S02emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc3.d/S02emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc2.d/S02emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc1.d/K01emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/rc0.d/K01emby-server
$ sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list.distUpgrade
$ sudo rm "/udo service emby-server status"
$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list
	# check if the correct path is entered
	# deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04/ /
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get -f install emby-server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor pres
   Active: active (running) since Mi 2017-01-04 23:27:10 CET; 22s ago
 Main PID: 3018 (su)
   CGroup: /system.slice/emby-server.service
           ‣ 3018 su -s /bin/sh -c umask $0; exec "$1" "$@" emby -- 002 env MAGI

Jan 04 23:27:10 EmbyServer systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
Jan 04 23:27:10 EmbyServer su[3018]: Successful su for emby by root
Jan 04 23:27:10 EmbyServer su[3018]: + ??? root:emby
Jan 04 23:27:10 EmbyServer su[3018]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for usloc

Excellent, at least you have it sorted and working.