Why does the Live TV guide refresh task take so long?

CBers

CBers

On my server, the guide refresh takes around 22 minutes, but if I start the HDHomeRun app on my Shield TV's, it's loaded in a matter of seconds.

It's not a major issue, as I refresh it once per day overnight, but just wondered if anything could be done server side please.

Thanks.

CBers

Have you tried adjusting the number of days to download guide data in live TV settings?

It's set to AUTO.

CBers

So you haven't tried adjusting that then?

Why should I? Auto means Auto, so Emby should work out what's best, otherwise what's the point it being there.

Anyway, if I drop to 7, 5 or 3, what's to say that it is better than AUTO, seeing as the description says:

"Auto will choose based on the number of channels. ".

I think I have around 130 channels.

Vidman

Auto may not take in consideration what you consider important. I was just trying to suggest something you could very easily try to see if it makes any difference. Luckily there are options besides auto for this very reason;)

Edited by Vidman

Correct - producing a channel list in a UI and producing enough guide data to do complete metadata gathering, matching and scheduling for a DVR are two very different requirements.  Plus the sources of the data are different.  For all we know, the HDHR may be running its own process every night that takes 30 minutes to gather data...

CBers

So no answer then, other than "try something else".

The HDHR app in Kodi and on Android take a few seconds to retrieve the datas, so it may only be retrieving only 6, 12 or 24 hours.

I was only asking if there was anything that could be done to make it faster on the server side.

As stated above, it's not a major issue, as I refresh the guide over night when nothing else is running, or being watched.

Thanks.

Latchmor

Hi @cbr I have similar setup but 93 channels enabled. Auto gives me 7 days and took 2 min 36 sec to refresh. Manually setting 14 days took 3 min 2 secs to refresh.

CBers

The answer is there is something you can do server side, set the guide refresh to fetch less data

User selectable on server side though.

Hi @cbr I have similar setup but 93 channels enabled. Auto gives me 7 days and took 2 min 36 sec to refresh. Manually setting 14 days took 3 min 2 secs to refresh.

I guess you have the FreeView channels ??

Latchmor

I guess you have the FreeView channels ??

Yip. 2 x HomeRuns (4 tuners) pickup 146 channels but I disable some and currently have 93.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CBers

Yip. 2 x HomeRuns (4 tuners) pickup 146 channels but I disable some and currently have 93.

And you have the setting on AUTO ??

Latchmor

Yeah said in my first post. Normally auto but I changed to 14 days to test.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CBers

OK, thanks Latcmor.

I guess I'll go and test lower values as Vidman suggests, but AUTO should really be the best solution.

I guess I'll go and test lower values as Vidman suggests, but AUTO should really be the best solution.

I would say that auto is the best solution since, as you said, there is no problem here.

Making it run faster isn't going to give you any more functionality nor is it going to improve anything since there isn't a problem.  So, I don't really understand what you are trying to achieve...?

Yes, things can almost always be improved but we want to focus our attention on the ones that have the most benefit.

CBers

I would say that auto is the best solution since, as you said, there is no problem here.

Making it run faster isn't going to give you any more functionality nor is it going to improve anything since there isn't a problem. So, I don't really understand what you are trying to achieve...?

Yes, things can almost always be improved but we want to focus our attention on the ones that have the most benefit.

It has always been set to AUTO as I believed that that was the most optimal setting.

I was only asking if anything could be done to speed up the task, as it was taking around 22 minutes to complete.

Not sure if Luke did anything, but since the dev server update earlier today, the task now only takes around 5 minutes.

• Like 1

CBers

I did not do anything.

Last night's refresh took 13 minutes to complete.

Yesterday I made sure that there were no other scheduled tasks running at the same time as the Guide Refresh.

Attached is an extract from the server log for the Guide Refresh task.

It seems to run "Mapping Stations to Channel" 164 times during the task - is that correct ??

Server log extract.txt

maegibbons

I also noticed previously  in my Logs that the refresh seems to duplicate a lot of stuff as though it is looping,

I will look in my logs and post if i can see it now.

Krs

Mark

Edit: So yes in todays logs at 04:05 looks like it is looping through the same stuff multiple times

server-guide.txt

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 1

Latchmor

Hi @@CBers I just got a fresh log and ran my guide task. It shows the same Mapping... line 94 times. Looks like it does it once per channel maybe? I'm still on Auto and it took 2 mins 21 secs.

• Like 1

maegibbons

If it is just a logging issue it should still be fixed.  The repittion gives no useful data or any idea in terms of prgression through the task.

KRs

Mark