Problems with AC3 on Fire TV

crashbowman

crashbowman

Emby doesn't seem to like anything I have with AC3 on my Fire TV.  I have attached a log of a test file.  This file I tested fine with Emby on my Roku.  Basically with Fire TV I launched the video and it defaulted to AAC and played, then I switched audio to AC3 and it kept playing with no sound...it didn't appear to send anything at all over to my receiver...then I hit the magic button for problems and it went back to playing sound, but was AAC.

Things I have noticed...

• Live TV plays fine with AC3
  • TV Recordings with AC3 are silent (nothing sent to receiver)
  • Roku seems to handle AC3 fine

Server Log.txt

Hi.  Are you sure it is AC3 and not EAC3 (DD+)?

Please do the following:

- Turn on the debug options in the settings of the app

- Play an item with the problem - go through the progression you stated above

- Return to home screen and send the log

- Return here and post the time you sent the log, the name of the Emby user that was logged in and the name of the item that was played.

Thanks.

crashbowman

Hi.  Are you sure it is AC3 and not EAC3 (DD+)?

Please do the following:

- Turn on the debug options in the settings of the app

- Play an item with the problem - go through the progression you stated above

- Return to home screen and send the log

- Return here and post the time you sent the log, the name of the Emby user that was logged in and the name of the item that was played.

Thanks.

Log attached...

• Sent 6:34PM Central
  • User John
  • Item "John Mayer Where the Light Is"
  • Followed same progression...default was aac and it played sound...switched to AC3 and no sound....hit magic button and it went back to AAC.

Server Log.txt

Can you confirm whether the audio track is AC3 or EAC3?  I am suspecting the latter.

If you mark that track as default so that it is selected first, does it work?

crashbowman

Can you confirm whether the audio track is AC3 or EAC3?  I am suspecting the latter.

If you mark that track as default so that it is selected first, does it work?

It is AC3.  How do I mark it as default?

You would use some sort of editor to adjust the tracks in the mp4 itself.

Are all of the items with this problem in mp4 containers?

crashbowman

You would use some sort of editor to adjust the tracks in the mp4 itself.

Are all of the items with this problem in mp4 containers?

Yes, all are mp4.

I'm surprised you are not getting any audio.  I would expect you to get decoded 5.1 audio in that instance.  What kind of connections and audio equipment are we talking about?

crashbowman

I'm surprised you are not getting any audio.  I would expect you to get decoded 5.1 audio in that instance.  What kind of connections and audio equipment are we talking about?

OK, well I just converted it to MKV with the AC3 track as the default and Emby with Fire TV instantly started playing it, but it sent over 2 channel PCM to my receiver.  Went out and went to my Roku and it instantly played it and sent the DD 5.1 over to the receiver.  

This is all with HDMI connections and a Sony STR-DN770 receiver.  It definitely seems to be specific with the Fire TV.

Edited by crashbowman

Are you going through an ARC or something or is the Fire TV directly connected to the AVR?

I just tested with my 1st gen Fire and I get decoded 5.1 output.

I'm going to put up a beta that will attempt to use the other player and bitstream it.  If you want to try that out follow the Amazon instructions here: Android Open Beta Testing

crashbowman

Are you going through an ARC or something or is the Fire TV directly connected to the AVR?

I just tested with my 1st gen Fire and I get decoded 5.1 output.

I'm going to put up a beta that will attempt to use the other player and bitstream it.  If you want to try that out follow the Amazon instructions here: Android Open Beta Testing

Fire TV to the receiver...

I sent you a PM the other day, but you didn't think it would help.  Would you add me to the beta for Fire TV?

crashbowman

OK, the Beta worked absolutely perfect, but it was only on the files I have remuxed to have AC3 as the primary track.  If the file does NOT have AC3 as the primary track it immediately starts playing AAC.  However Emby shows in the audio information that AC3 is selected.  I can switch it back and forth, but it never results in a change from AAC.