Advice for running Emby app on a shield Android TV

xliv

I have an nVidia Shield, and would like some advice on how to best run Emby on it (I'm now using Plex, Kodi and Archos with mitigated success...).

First question is (even though I'm sure I know the answer): is there any way to run the Emby app without a server (the shield has an USB drive attached to it with all the media on it), or with a local server on the Shield?

And if the answer to the first question is a no, what would be the best solution to add a server in that setup - probably a NAS, right, is there any device that is "best supported", for ex a Synology model? There are some pretty cheap synology, but are they sufficiently powerful to run the server? Or should I buy a Qnap?

Thanks - I posted this here, but maybe it makes more sense in the discussion area.

Macburp

I have an nVidia Shield, and would like some advice on how to best run Emby on it (I'm now using Plex, Kodi and Archos with mitigated success...).

First question is (even though I'm sure I know the answer): is there any way to run the Emby app without a server (the shield has an USB drive attached to it with all the media on it), or with a local server on the Shield?

And if the answer to the first question is a no, what would be the best solution to add a server in that setup - probably a NAS, right, is there any device that is "best supported", for ex a Synology model? There are some pretty cheap synology, but are they sufficiently powerful to run the server? Or should I buy a Qnap?

Thanks - I posted this here, but maybe it makes more sense in the discussion area.

As far as I am aware there is no way to run the emby server on a shield.

There are emby server apps for several servers, including the ones you mentioned. I would suggest you do some reading on the server forums to learn more.

Have you thought about a NUC or similar, with your USB drive plugged in? The celeron NUCs do a good job as server, although you might want to look at something with a bit more power if your media needs to be transcoded.

Hi, we don't currently support running the server on the Shield but it is something we hope to do in the future. thanks.