Ability to Donate?

MSattler

MSattler

Since I have been openly outed by @@ebr for being someone who got in for nearly free by paying the $10 donation fee originally, how are original lifetime members supposed to be able to donate?

As far as I can tell, the only options for donations are monthly, yearly, or lifetime donations.

If you really want people to donate more, why not give them the option?

I have no desire to purchase another yearly key.  However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind donating when something is done that warrants a donation.  Such as the HD audio for the Android client.

Thanks!

FrostByte

The Ember client recently added something like this which I really like.  I already bought the app long time ago, but when a new feature is added (like the ability to select chapters during playback) then it's nice to be able to donate more money over the few bucks I paid to show appreciation for any continued work.  When I want to donate more the Ember app automatically takes it out of the account I have specified in the Microsoft Store (PayPal). 

• Like 2

As far as Emby goes, we've had to remove the donate function as it violates the policy of some of the app stores. To show your support you can just purchase Premiere again, any of the three options, and just cancel immediately after if it's recurring.

• Like 2

MSattler

As far as Emby goes, we've had to remove the donate function as it violates the policy of some of the app stores. To show your support you can just purchase Premiere again, any of the three options, and just cancel immediately after if it's recurring.

Does the recurring monthly option have an automated way for me to cancel it?

This is also kind of confusing, how can Apple or Google limit you on how you take in proceeds?  I would understand if it was related to charitable donations, as those are not allowed by either of them.   But how can they control what payment methods you use outside of the confines of their ecosystem?

Edited by MSattler

MSattler

The Ember client recently added something like this which I really like.  I already bought the app long time ago, but when a new feature is added (like the ability to select chapters during playback) then it's nice to be able to donate more money over the few bucks I paid to show appreciation for any continued work.  When I want to donate more the Ember app automatically takes it out of the account I have specified in the Microsoft Store (PayPal). 

Yeah, see, this is what I'm talking about.  

Happy2Play

Does the recurring monthly option have an automated way for me to cancel it?

This is also kind of confusing, how can Apple or Google limit you on how you take in proceeds?  I would understand if it was related to charitable donations, as those are not allowed by either of them.   But how can they control what payment methods you use outside of the confines of their ecosystem?

From other posts, I believe it depends on payment method.  You control recurring Paypal payments.

From other posts, I believe it depends on payment method.  You control recurring Paypal payments.

Correct, and very soon you should also be able to cancel your own direct card payments via the website or server dashboard.

• Like 1

The app stores control a lot of things if you want your app to exist in their ecosystem.  They have complete power to allow or not allow us so we have to play by their rules.

And, thank you for your continued support.

FrostByte

Strange Xbox allows you to do it.  Maybe they aren't calling it a "donation", more of a one time payment for support or something.  Oh well

Another issue is that many payment providers (like PayPal) consider labeling something a "donation" when it is not a charitable cause to be a deceptive practice so we have to be wary of that as well.  Basically, we appreciate y'alls desire to continue to support us and we hope you can use the methods we have now of doing that.

Thanks!

Strange Xbox allows you to do it.  Maybe they aren't calling it a "donation", more of a one time payment for support or something.  Oh well

MS is being very liberal right now with developer friendly policies in an attempt to pull their attention from android and apple platforms. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Jack Burton

Couldn't you throw a 4th option on premiere, like $7 1 day thank you trial? It would look a bit silly but make it super easy for us to throw something your way

• Like 2

Couldn't you throw a 4th option on premiere, like $7 1 day thank you trial? It would look a bit silly but make it super easy for us to throw something your way

That would confuse the heck out of the average person looking at their options, no..?

1 month = $5

1 day = $7??

xnappo

You guys really should just have an easy donate button with any amount desired.

I know sometimes I am just 'in the mood' and randomly donate to things that make it easy.

Admittedly your situation is a little different - would have to make it clear that it doesn't count toward a license or anything otherwise it would be an accounting nightmare.

Edited by xnappo

You guys really should just have an easy donate button with any amount desired.

See post 10 above.

We can possibly investigate some other options but we do have to be careful about the entire concept of accepting "donations".  Right now, the best thing to do is use one of the current options but, again, I applaud all of you for wanting to continue to support us :).  It is appreciated.

Latchmor

My brother-in-law lives in Petershead and he tried to get me to eat that.  No way!! :)

:lol: That's about 60 miles from me, Peterhead (no 's').  I've just realised I don't have any left... I'll have to go and catch some  ^_^

• Like 1

FrostByte

:lol: That's about 60 miles from me, Peterhead (no 's').  I've just realised I don't have any left... I'll have to go and catch some  ^_^

lol, My sister-in-law lives in Southampton and I always want to throw an extra 'h' in the middle there also

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
drashna

We can possibly investigate some other options but we do have to be careful about the entire concept of accepting "donations".  Right now, the best thing to do is use one of the current options but, again, I applaud all of you for wanting to continue to support us :).  It is appreciated.

How about a "Say Thanks with your wallet" button? :)

Jdiesel

Us users could arrange to donate premier memberships to third party developers.  There has been lots of good project on the go lately and if we can attract third party developers to continue using Emby we may see an increase in more plugins and tools for Emby. A couple that come to my mind are Emby integration into Ombi and the Statistics plugin. Maybe we can even attract the coveted skin developer that everyone has been waiting for.  

Edited by Jdiesel

• 8 months later...
twinkybot

Could you go a bit in detail?

Because I also wanted to ask you, if it wouldn't make sense to put yourself up on

https://liberapay.com/ (my favorit)

https://www.bountysource.com

and/or naturally https://patreon.com