Flashing an LSI SAS card to IT

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

Has anyone tried changing the settings in the firmware? Through a process of elimination, I have determined that the drives are constantly kept spinning, regardless of OS power settings. I'm trying to change that and allow the drives to spin down. Anyone messed with this? I haven't found anything online, yet. But I haven't dug very deep. Is it even possible? @@PenkethBoy

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I believe I have found the solution. Pretty easy, too. Fix type 2

https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/11859-lsi-spindown-win-81win-10win-2016/

Well, I believe those settings work, but something is still keeping the drives awake. I'm thinking it may be Drive Pool...or just that everything is connected to everything else, and keeps them awake via the network.

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

Hi

if we are talking 9211-8i - all my HDD drives spin down - in 2012r2 - what version of the card bios are you on? - I'm on P20

Have you changed (in Scanner) the SMART options - i throttle queries to 360 minutes - and have do not query when disk spun down - checked

Also have you changed the bitlocker option - see post #28 of link - i did this and it stopped constant disk access you can see in scanner for each disk - http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1674-drivepool-service-making-constant-disk-access/page-2?hl=bitlocker&do=findComment&comment=20470 if you are using clouddrive you will need to do it for that as well - iIRC you need to reboot after changing the config file.

Guest asrequested

Hi

if we are talking 9211-8i - all my HDD drives spin down - in 2012r2 - what version of the card bios are you on? - I'm on P20

Have you changed (in Scanner) the SMART options - i throttle queries to 360 minutes - and have do not query when disk spun down - checked

Also have you changed the bitlocker option - see post #28 of link - i did this and it stopped constant disk access you can see in scanner for each disk - http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1674-drivepool-service-making-constant-disk-access/page-2?hl=bitlocker&do=findComment&comment=20470 if you are using clouddrive you will need to do it for that as well - iIRC you need to reboot after changing the config file.

It's the same on two machines. Both have drive pool, only one has scanner. Even with scanner uninstalled, nothing changes. Two cards are P19 and one is P18. Even the drives connected to the motherboard, they barely turn off. I was looking at the Bitlocker suggestion, but couldn't figure it out. Looking at what you just posted, that tells me how to do it. I'll give that a whirl :)

Guest asrequested

I only have the default.config, and it's already set to false. No matter what I do, they keep spinning. Broadcom no longer have support for the 9211-8i on their site.

PenkethBoy

I would look at other process running on your machines - what does "resource monitor" show is using your disks

Guest asrequested

I would look at other process running on your machines - what does "resource monitor" show is using your disks

Not a whole lot going there. DP 2.1.1. Maybe that setting I put in, doesn't actually work? I don't have solid way to test it.

59ac976a5855e_Resourcemonitor.jpg

PenkethBoy

Ok you still on the release version then

i'm on 2.2.0810 beta - not that i think it will make a difference in this case

I did not do that reg change to get my disk to spin down you listed earlier - It was the bitlocker change that made a difference to me - might be different with 2012r2 and win10 - not bothered on my win10 machine as its all SSD's so spin down not needed

How are you determining that the disk do not spin down? In Resource Monitor they look idle(at that time)

And your cards are IT mode?

Guest asrequested

Ok you still on the release version then

i'm on 2.2.0810 beta - not that i think it will make a difference in this case

I did not do that reg change to get my disk to spin down you listed earlier - It was the bitlocker change that made a difference to me - might be different with 2012r2 and win10 - not bothered on my win10 machine as its all SSD's so spin down not needed

How are you determining that the disk do not spin down? In Resource Monitor they look idle(at that time)

And your cards are IT mode?

Yeah, IT mode. Other than seeing the occasional flashing light on the drive tray, if I pull the drive, I can feel it spinning. And they get hot. It may be how win 10 functions. 

PenkethBoy

if you set an aggressive spindown time - say 10mins leave Scanner UI open - do you see in the power column the disks go into standby from active?

Sometimes with mine if i open scanner it wakes up the disks - but if i leave it open they do spin down

The other way i know they spin down is accessing a shared directory after a period of inactivity - the directory can have a few seconds delay being accessible - after which its fine

PenkethBoy

I only have the default.config, and it's already set to false. No matter what I do, they keep spinning. Broadcom no longer have support for the 9211-8i on their site.

Just remembered you need to rename it to "Drivepool.service.exe.config" for it to work

Guest asrequested

if you set an aggressive spindown time - say 10mins leave Scanner UI open - do you see in the power column the disks go into standby from active?

Sometimes with mine if i open scanner it wakes up the disks - but if i leave it open they do spin down

The other way i know they spin down is accessing a shared directory after a period of inactivity - the directory can have a few seconds delay being accessible - after which its fine

I've tried it at multiple time limits. also after uninstalling Scanner...no change.

PenkethBoy

it not scanner but dp that has the bitlocker option that might be keeping them live and not in standby

reboot after you change the name of the config file

and try scanner again to see if they go into standby

What power management option have you set in win10?

PenkethBoy

59acb2d9cfa85_Capture.jpg

With bitlocker set to True - this is what you get - this is on my win10 machine

If false it will not show any constant activity (other than normal disk access by programs)

Guest asrequested

I don't see where it says active or inactive?

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

59acb2d9cfa85_Capture.jpg

With bitlocker set to True - this is what you get - this is on my win10 machine

If false it will not show any constant activity (other than normal disk access by programs)

Even set to false, I'm seeing periodic spikes.

PenkethBoy

59acb633cd7ea_Capture.jpg

Bitlocker set to false

You are going to get some if a program needs data but with bitlocker at True they are every 4-5 seconds or so - so easy to see and usually for me at least 4kb in size

Maybe its something else thats doing it - but at least you can rule this out now.

You have got windows search turned off?

Guest asrequested

You have got windows search turned off?

I read something about that but didn't look into it. So no, it's on.....how do I turn it off? lol

PenkethBoy

Did you just uncheck Adv Pow Man in that image? If not then its not set

You have Standby Enabled though :)

Guest asrequested

Did you just uncheck Adv Pow Man in that image? If not then its not set

You have Standby Enabled though :)

No, it's stuck like that. If I check it and hit set, it doesn't retain the setting. It goes right back to that  :blink:

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

59acba1c8b286_Capture2.jpg

Uncheck the last option - WARNING - it will ask you if you want to do all the files and subfolders - which is what you want to do - BUT on a disk with lots of data it can take a long time - as you have lots of disks it will take several hours to do them all. I did them before i added data :)