ET WASAPI Audio Device selection not working

Magilla
Go to solution Solved by Guest asrequested,

Hello,

not sure I'm doing something wrong or I found a small bug in ET (last version installed on a clean Windows 10 PC, together with Emby Server). My PC has three audio devices outputs (speakers, Optical Audio and HDMI).

In my case ET completely ignores the WASAPI Audio device setting in the configuration and always plays audio from the default playback device which is setup on my PC. as my TV is connected to my PC via HDMI I assumed I could leave my default playback device on PC to speaker and configure ET to get audio from HDMI when is playing, so that I don't have to change manually the audio device (I use my PC to listen to music when I'm not playing videos with ET).

Am I doing something wrong or is a known issue?

Thx

Magilla

Note: PC has no graphic card (using on board Intel HD530)

Well, this is exactly what I'm doing, but in my case ET ignore my selection and only play sound based on the playback device selected on my Server (ET and Emby Server are on the same PC). I can select "Samsung" below (is the name of my HDMI playback device", but if my PC has "Speakers" as default device I'm not hearing any sound.

58636fce23613_WASAPI.png

I did a similar test on another PC which has ET and is connected with my EMBY Server remotely...same result. I was expecting ET could be configured to be independent from the default playback device on the PC, otherwise what's the point?

Maybe I'm missing something basic here.... :unsure:

Magilla

Can you provide an Emby Theater log from a playback attempt?

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\logs

Thanks.

Guest asrequested

In my case ET completely ignores the WASAPI Audio device setting in the configuration and always plays audio from the default playback device which is setup on my PC. as my TV is connected to my PC via HDMI

Your computer should be connected to your AVR and so should your TV, with HDMI. It's reading your TV, not your AVR. Edited by Doofus

@@Luke, attached the log when I play a short trailer. PC is setup with Speakers as default playback device, while ET has SAMSUNG as default (is the HDMI audio). The audio comes out of PC speakers only. If instead I setup SAMSUMG (HDMI) as default playback device, the audio comes out from the TV set and not from the PC (as I want to)

BTW, I managed to force the other audio program (squeezelite) to use speakers as playback device while SAMSUNG (HDMI) is the default, and this setup is ok for my needs. However would be useful to understand what is wrong with my setup

@, my PC is connected via HDMI directly to a TV Set and not to an AVR. Sorry if I was not clear.

Thanks in advance

Magilla

theater-63618631053.txt

Guest asrequested

In my case ET completely ignores the WASAPI Audio device setting in the configuration

Your WASAPI device is your TV, if you don't want to connect your computer to your AVR. That's what that setting in ET is for. The device info is sent over HDMI. In your case, it's reading your TV. So it's working correctly.

Sorry guys but I still don't get it...

I expect that by selecting the audio device to use inside ET, that would overwrite the default playback device which is configured on the PC and play audio to the WASAPI Device I select. This is the same behavior other media apps have (like squeezeplay which is working as expected on the very same PC). If my expectation is correct, then ET is not working correctly for me. if my expectation is wrong, then I don't understand the feature to enable WASAPI Audio selection inside ET.

...and...is not that I don't want to connect my PC to my AVR....is that I don't have/need an AVR to use ET on my TV :) 

Magilla

Guest asrequested

OK, can you please specify exactly what you are trying to achieve? And post a screenshot of your audio settings in ET.

Edited by Doofus

Magilla

Hi @Dofuss, and Happy New Year!

I was pretty sure I was doing something wrong and I've found it this morning :wacko: In essence, I was selecting the WASAPI Audio Device I wanted but I did not change the Audio Renderer in ET Audio Options...By selecting WASAPI as audio renderer then ET Works as I expected and wanted :)

Apologies for the confusion created, I should have noticed it before. Thanks anyway for trying to help me and for everything you do to build and expand a great Media platform and ecosystem like Emby.

Magilla