Chromecast streaming down

grimy55

elboletaire

I had this issue a while ago - see my post from 30 May 2017. I still have this exact same setup and an emby update some time late 2017 or 2018 fixed it. Chromecast works perfectly using my externally resolvable DNS name on my internal LAN

I'm speaking of the latest emby version, and the issue still affects. Do you have the exact same configuration? Do you really use an internal docker network? Because if you're doing it that way, it can't work unless you use a shared network between your host and the container, which is the workaround that I described previously.

• Like 1

I'm speaking of the latest emby version, and the issue still affects. Do you have the exact same configuration? Do you really use an internal docker network? Because if you're doing it that way, it can't work unless you use a shared network between your host and the container, which is the workaround that I described previously.

Yeah I’m using a docker internal network. The emby server dashboard reports “In-Home (LAN) Access: http://172.17.0.2:8096”. My host network is 10.10.3.0/24 and my clients/chromecast is on 10.10.2.0/24. It’s working perfectly.. 2 years ago it didn’t, now it does. What would you like to see in terms of my config? I’m pretty sure it’s the hairpin NAT and HAproxy which makes this work for me - all of this I described in my initial post.

elboletaire

Yeah I’m using a docker internal network. The emby server dashboard reports “In-Home (LAN) Access: http://172.17.0.2:8096”. My host network is 10.10.3.0/24 and my clients/chromecast is on 10.10.2.0/24. It’s working perfectly.. 2 years ago it didn’t, now it does. What would you like to see in terms of my config? I’m pretty sure it’s the hairpin NAT and HAproxy which makes this work for me - all of this I described in my initial post.

The only way I found to get it working this way is to use the external connection (meaning, disconnecting from the WLAN and using the chromecast guest mode).

Also, have you changed your ISP router since then? Because I've seen some routers which properly make the NAT routing for LAN networks, but old ones just return the router IP instead of the real LAN device IP you're trying to reach.

Anyway, if emby chromecast really uses the LAN address, how do you explain that it's working for your configuration? It's a non sense unless you can access that `172.17.0.2` ip from your LAN, which I guess, you can't.

Note that I'm trying to get as much information from you as possible, to be able to discard any other possible influences.

I haven't changed my ISP router. I am using an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter in this configuration (this is what does the hairpin NAT) and it has been running like this for years.

I'm not sure why you are doubting that I have this working. Again, if you want config information then let me know what you want to see.

172.17.0.x is a docker only network. It is NOT accessible anywhere on my LAN.

I think you've missed a critical piece of information though. I am not trying to connect to Emby on the LAN interface - I am using the external interface, i.e. emby.mydomain.com:80 which resolves to a public IP (58.161.xx.xx). This is why hairpin NAT is important, the chromecast (on my LAN) makes a request to emby.mydomain.com which resolves to 58.161.xx.xx. The request hits my router which gets NAT'd back (i.e. traffic does not go out on the internet) and forwarded to my HAproxy load balancer. The load balancer exposes Emby on port 80 or 443 and is configured with service discovery so it always knows where my emby container is - the container is running on one of 3 hosts on a randomized port

elboletaire

I haven't changed my ISP router. I am using an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter in this configuration (this is what does the hairpin NAT) and it has been running like this for years.

I'm not sure why you are doubting that I have this working. Again, if you want config information then let me know what you want to see.

172.17.0.x is a docker only network. It is NOT accessible anywhere on my LAN.

I think you've missed a critical piece of information though. I am not trying to connect to Emby on the LAN interface - I am using the external interface, i.e. emby.mydomain.com:80 which resolves to a public IP (58.161.xx.xx). This is why hairpin NAT is important, the chromecast (on my LAN) makes a request to emby.mydomain.com which resolves to 58.161.xx.xx. The request hits my router which gets NAT'd back (i.e. traffic does not go out on the internet) and forwarded to my HAproxy load balancer. The load balancer exposes Emby on port 80 or 443 and is configured with service discovery so it always knows where my emby container is - the container is running on one of 3 hosts on a randomized port

Then you confirm what I said dude. I already said this works externally, but what I want is to get it working in the LAN network. Not everyone has a domain, nor everyone wants to configure emby externally.

jscoys

Hum on my side I had the issue with the local pin. The docker container being on an address like 172... wasn’t able to catch it was local so it was refusing my local pin when trying to log to it locally...

To solve the issue you have, in “advanced” option in the dashboard, two options to change: LAN network, where you can put something like “192.168.1.0/24” and bind to local address where you can put the address of the host (something like “192.168.1.x”. It won’t override your physical address, just that Emby will consider himself having this address. It solved my issue on my side, so give it a try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscoys

Run your container in host mode.

Well on my side I couldn’t because I have Home Assistant running on the same machine and it needs to run in host mode. Only one container can run in this mode so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elboletaire

Run your container in host mode.

This is what I'm trying to avoid.

To solve the issue you have, in “advanced” option in the dashboard, two options to change: LAN network, where you can put something like “192.168.1.0/24” and bind to local address where you can put the address of the host (something like “192.168.1.x”. It won’t override your physical address, just that Emby will consider himself having this address. It solved my issue on my side, so give it a try!

Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking for, and I did not see it. Just tried it and works as I would expect, so my apologies for reviving the post for no reason (although apparently no one except for jscoys knew about this x_D).

• Like 1

jscoys

This is what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was asking for, and I did not see it. Just tried it and works as I would expect, so my apologies for reviving the post for no reason (although apparently no one except for jscoys knew about this x_D).

No problem my friend, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The local address displayed on your server dashboard is still the same, right?

elboletaire

Damn... now chromecast works... OK. But LiveTV RDP channels ain't working. Does anyone know why? What does the `network_mode: host` that makes it work, but when you map ports manually it stops working?

The local address displayed on your server dashboard is still the same, right?

What do you mean? Are you asking that to me? Is still the same compared to what?

Damn... now chromecast works... OK. But LiveTV RDP channels ain't working. Does anyone know why? What does the `network_mode: host` that makes it work, but when you map ports manually it stops working?

What do you mean? Are you asking that to me? Is still the same compared to what?

In other words did it change after doing that?