bulk edit metadata

chenks

Happy2Play

In reference to Ratings it is the same as I brought up here, just different country.

Edited by Happy2Play

Heckler

It's annoying but if the data on tmdb doesn't contain the UK rating then you have to manually change it yourself... Often you have to take a guess as IMDB is often missing data for older movies too... and some older movies were classified before the ratings system was changed about 25yrs ago and show the original rating.

But as to the bulk editing... that would be great... I'd also like the option to edit a collection at the same time, as with the current overlay method... you can edit a movie but unless yo actually go through and find it in the collection you have no way to easily navigate to other movies in that collection.

How about having a simple link to it at the top of the page as you do for TV shows... IE  TVshow - Season X   could be  Movie Collection - Movie via a simple link at the top of the page... Makes navigation much easier and avoids you having to root around in metadata manager... which I assumed was the whole reason for adding the editing data overlay instead of directing you to the metadata manager as it used to. I like that you can edit quickly in that way... but it does make editing collections or multiple items much more time consuming than before.

When it comes to bulk editing, or metadata grabbing... I'd really love to be able to only download actors & directors... I have zero interest in the 500 crew members that are often appended to the metadata and which grossly pads out the database slowing everything down... I've done some digging and at least 70% of the names contained in the several GB of people & image database... is irrelevant and useless information. I used to manually delete all of this data and lock of the field... then a couple of years ago you changed the way metadata was handled and it made all actor data/images go missing. I had to manually go through 1800 movies and change the fields back to unlocked and then refresh every single one by hand (because no other way worked). It took me months to do because there was no way to do it quickly (I asked and I tried all suggestions)... I was fuming because there was no warning from the devs what the update would do to peoples databases and no consideration for anyone who actually used that feature that they'd built into the software.

Now I am scared to use it, in case they make another change which causes me to have to do it all again... and I sure as hell aint gonna go through an even larger collection manually taking out those redundant and useless people from my database again.

So the ability to only download actor/director and ignore anything else would be the most important feature I want these days... I could clean up and clear out 60-70,000 people from my database and speed up emby by a huge amount.  I'm sure a lot of others out there would like to see further speed improvements.

Happy2Play

Cast and crew have changed and not longer gets everyone (crew) in the metadata.  I believe it is limited to cast (Actors), writer, director and producers no longer grabbing movie crew.

The change to getting actors/people was changed do the a request of the provider.  So the community has no choice but to accept the change or lose the provider.

So all previous media with metadata containing all cast and crew would have to be refreshed to remove all crew members.

We now have at least three topics in this thread so let's please try to stick to the original request, which is bulk editing features. If you would like to see changes related to multi-language metadata or actors, then we're happy to discuss that. Please open a feature request topic and we can look at it separately. Thanks !

seeing as it's my thread, maybe i can decide what can and can't be discussed in it ??

IMO the bulk edit topic and the pulling of irrelevant ratings metadata are linked as i wouldn't have asked about bulk editing if the wrong ratings weren't pulled in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
chenks

There is probably a delay between updating the website and when it becomes available through the api. Most of the providers have a delay like that. 

Emby will also cache for up to 2 days so you'd have to find the corresponding folder and delete it

programdata\cache\tmdb-movies2

well i eventually had to do a manual force refresh on the movie to get Emby to pull down the changes from TMDB.

it seems it didn't want to do it on its own.

aspdend

As an anglophile, UK user and someone who really isn't fond of over-americanisation of our language - I am still with Luke on this one - if there's no data, I'd rather have something in US-English or US-ratings than nothing at all...although an R or PG-13 rating is irritating to me, seeing nothing would be worse because at least I can equate a PG-13 to something tangible...

chenks

so give the end-user the choice then.

have an option to default to US (not sure why US has become the world default though!) or default to nothing if your chosen region doesn't have ratings data.

however what do you equate PG-13 to? as it doesn't automatically match to anything in he UK.

it could be a PG, 12, or 15 in the UK.

at the moment we have the worst of two situations.

1) we get ratings that don't match our chosen region

2) we have no way to bulk edit all the items that have been give the wrong data.

Edited by chenks

aspdend

so give the end-user the choice then.

have an option to default to US (not sure why US has become the world default though!) or default to nothing if your chosen region doesn't have ratings data.

however what do you equate PG-13 to? as it doesn't automatically match to anything in he UK.

it could be a PG, 12, or 15 in the UK.

at the moment we have the worst of two situations.

1) we get ratings that don't match our chosen region

2) we have no way to bulk edit all the items that have been give the wrong data.

Surely the US as a default alternative is better than a non-english speaking country? It is in my book anyway...

I generally equate a PG-13 to a 12 film as in my mind, that seems the most logical choice for restricting viewing, wrong or not, that works for me.

We get ratings that don't match our country/region when the ratings are not available on TMDB - the more of us that contribute to TMDB, the better the metadata will be for all involved...

As for the bulk editing - I agree - that needs to be implemented.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
BigJazzz

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (I didn't want to duplicate the request), but is there any progress on this? As you're aware Luke, I've had my issue with Sailor Moon, and I need to manually edit one series for the data. Bulk editing would be very useful, even if it was just a table that I entered values into.

Bulk editing is something we'd like to do in the future, yes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
zmediaserver

+1 for bulk editing. UFC fights are tagged with "Action" and not "Sport", so doing this manually for 8 years worth of fights will take a while ;)

Also, @@Luke - your patience is unparalleled. Reading this thread, I was beyond annoyed with the rudeness you were dealt, but you kept your cool. I'm taking notes!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...