Portrait only?

Disorganise

Disorganise

Hi,

I put the Android client on my tablet and got it to launch a video to my MBC. I noted that the screen swung around to portrait and locked there while the progress bar etc were showing. Even exiting back out the Android client remained portrait until I got back to the home landing page as I recall. is this by design?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Forum Fiend v1.1.7.

Redshirt

Not that's not by design. It should switch to whatever orientation the tablet is positioned at. I've never seen it do that other than when I have rotation turned of in the tablet settings. 

Disorganise

ok, I retested and found that when you hit play to another device (in my case MBC) it swings around to portrait.  when you hit stop, it comes back to landscape.  I've shot a quick video which is hopefully accessible here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ayjetv16pqg06rb/xqgiQGFp6M

My tablet is the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 edition running the stock 4.3 rom.  MB version on Android is 1.0.6

Edit: typo

Edited by Disorganise

Redshirt

Ok that is by design. My thinking was that phones and smaller tablets could be held in one hand. Staying in portrait until you leave the app, as you originally mentioned should not happen if you alter the devices orientation after backing out of the remote app.

Disorganise

ahh ok.  maybe it's worthwhile  to think about a tablet oriented version somwhere down the track -or allow orientation to grabed from the device itself and maybe offer users the choice to lock or not?

I also noticed the opposite is true of music - streaming forces landscape which ironically puts the controls in an awkward position on a phone.

Also, when 'play to' is used for music, there's no control option - ie, the song(s) get queued into WMC and the Android client just sits there.  So if you want to control the music you have to reach for the remote.  I'm guessing the fact you're outside of MB at this point makes control impossible?

• 3 months later...
ramrod215

I would also like a landscape choice on the play to feature. I have tablets wall mounted in landscape and would love the play to feature to be able to stay in landscape mode. My nexus 7 works amazing with the app accessing my library and sending it to the chromecast. i tried forcing landscape in APP settings but it just froze the app :( 

Redshirt

I have no problem adding the additional layout. I'll put it on my issue/feature tracker to remind me.

• 2 months later...
Redshirt

Landscape mode for play-to and Chromecast is in the current beta. 

53e5bd945205c_20140809061516.png

• Like 1