Emby freezes on playing some files

Kramerika

Kramerika

I tried to play a movie last night, and it froze at the same spot within a minute of starting.  This is an MKV file on the Android TV app on the Shield TV.  I tried with refresh rate switching on and off to the same result.  I played the same file on SPMC and my computer, and it works fine.  I sent a log (MediaServer) sometime between 9:30-10:00 Eastern.  Other files seem to work fine although I did not do a lot of testing.  The one thing that I should do tonight is test on my Fire TV which I did not do last night assuming that I would have the same result.  Here is the media info from Emby.

Video

Codec H264
AVC Yes
Profile High
Level 41
Resolution 714x480
Aspect ratio 16:9
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.97602
Bitrate 3722 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 4
NAL 4

Audio

Language eng
Codec AC3
Layout stereo
Channels 2 ch
Bitrate 192 kbps
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Default Yes
Title Eng Dolby Digital stereo Default

Subtitle

Language eng
Codec DVDSUB
Default No
Forced No
External No
Title Eng
Container mkv
Edited by Kramerika

If it was direct streaming then there would not be an ffmpeg log.  Is it possible that your server got bogged down and actually stopped delivering the file?

Kramerika

It is direct playing (Direct/I).  There is no ffmpeg log though, at least not in the Emby-Server/logs folder.  When I play it with SPMC on the Shield TV, it does not freeze.  When I play it with Emby on the Amazon Fire TV, it does not freeze either, but it is direct playing slightly differently with Direct/V.

Edited by Kramerika

So, on the one with the problem, try hitting the "!" button during playback before the freeze point and see if that gets past it.

• 2 weeks later...
Kramerika

Yes, that does it.  It switches to Direct/V and works ok for at least the 5 minutes I watched it.  Seems like it doesn't like the internal player.