Quick HD HomeRun Prime + Live TV Question

JBL

Hey Everyone,

With Emby Live TV and a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun Prime, is it possible to tune encrypted channels such as ESPN, USA, HBO, etc?

The reason I'm asking is that within the Live TV setup for HD HomeRun, it's states "Channels with DRM will not be imported".

Thx!

Wondering how many channels came in... I just bought a HD Homerun Prime and kind of wishing I would have bought a connect ...

Well most places have generous return/exchange policies during holiday seasons.

rholborok

Yeah I know, I accually am prolly going to send it back. Was kind of considering paying for basic cable and trying it out but if there is a lot of channels that are protected then it might not be worth it. My only goal is to get my locals ..... I have a m3u for everything else.

socalredneck

Ho, not at this time. It is a possibility for the future. Thanks.

Is there a time frame or goal for "the future"???  Is the solution based on Emby or SiliconDust, or a combination of the two?

I just had cable & a HDHomeRun Prime installed.  The Prime software found 300+ channels, but Emby will only play about 80 that are non-DRM.

I chatted with SiliconDust support to see why I wasn't getting the other channels. I was told:

"Channels that are copy protected by the cable provider (indicated by the DRM mark) can only be accessed by hardware/software that supports industry-approved protection, which basically means a PC running Windows Media Center, a media center extender linked to such a PC, or a Playstation 3. Other hardware/software that does not support protection (including most DLNA device, Kodi, VLC, Plex, etc.) can only access the unprotected channels."

I was then told:

"We're currently working on adding DRM support. No dates to share at this time."

Looking forward to the future, hahaha.

legallink

Drm'd channels are only decrypted by software applications that pay a pretty expensive licensing fee and then also encrypt the channels/recording on the backend. It won't work the same way as recordings do now. Wmc is the only software program I am aware of that can show encrypted channels because Microsoft was the only player wealthy/big enough in the space to solve that problem. (There could be others I'm just not aware of any....Sage or myth maybe?).