WMC in VM w/HDHR?

Brad303

Hi guys,

I just hooked up my HDHomeRun and am looking to get OTA EPG & DVR functionality. If I understand how ServerWMC works, it turns a stand-alone WMC PC into a server that Emby can access through the plugin, correct?

I was using Emby from my Win7 WMC machine, but didn't use the EPG or DVR much since we had Dish. The few times I did use it, it worked great. Slick, intuitive interface that the wife and kids found immediately accessible. I want that again.

Since the PC hardware turned out to be unreliable (and bulky), I moved Emby to one of my FreeBSD servers running under VMWare. Overall, it's worked quite well. My family uses it almost daily from our various Android TVs.

That begs the question, can I install Windows 7 Ultimate in a VM and use the networked tuner to get ServerWMC up and running? Any downsides to this approach?

I can always spin up another stand-alone WMC machine, if necessary, but I'd much rather leverage my VM setup.

Thanks.

krustyreturns

I have a number of users who report running serverwmc/wmc in a VM, so as far as I know there is no issue with it.  Aside from the usual concerns of performance and disk space.

Cool beans. That's the answer I was hoping for.

Now the question is whether there's still enough life in WMC to last until a worthwhile replacement is built.