At what point did you start spending more on your server than your main PC?

justdrooit

justdrooit

I had been neck and neck in spending between my main system/htpc and my server. My turning point was 10 months ago when I saw how well my Emby server ran on a cheap Android TV device at my girlfriend's house soon after we started dating. $35 on one of those and I was impressed! lol It's a permanent fixture on her TV now.

I mean I already knew Emby was pretty cool as I could whip out my phone and show people the local news or nfl game streaming from my house...  but when you're showing off to someone important to you and it performs flawlessly... Sold.

So when AMD finally makes Ryzen available, I'm sure most people are looking at what it can do bang/buck for their PC/Gaming system. Heck no, I want that in my server! 16 threads! Think how many streams it could handle at once. My main system is just fine running off an old Phenom 960T (with the two extra cores turned on).

So how about you guys? When was your turning point?

JeremyFr79

The very second I got my first server.  I run all enterprise grade stuff server/network wise.  Needless to say I've got well over 100k sitting in my rack value wise (note I didn't pay anywhere near that but still have quite a bit into it.)  My main PC is just a hodgepodge of leftover parts and used stuff I picked up here and there.

• Like 2

About the time we started building Emby as a server-based platform :).

I think the real question you are asking is when did you start spending less on your playback device than your media management one and that is the cool thing about where we've gotten to and where we're going.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

I use $40 s905 boxes running LibreELEC. I play around with some other clients equipment software/hardware for testing purposes but nothing beats a s905 device running the Emby for Kodi plugin. If you would have asked me 6 months ago I would have said a RPi3 but the amlogic development caught up quick. 

All my money gets spend on a dedicated server rental...Hopefully someday I will get a decent connection to my home with lots of upload bandwidth.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

A few months ago, when I wanted to expand my storage and wanted the CPU to be independent of all the other things I do with my HTPC.... And just because I wanted to :D

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

About the time i got fed up with messing around with dvd/blu-ray disks taking up space in the lounge and looked at what media server options there were around to "solve" my problem

of course i did not realise at the time the extra cost of needing the storage etc to solve my issue :)

• Like 1

sansoo22

Right now I'd say my unRAID build and my main/gaming pc are probably neck and neck.  The server may edge out due to drive costs but the m.2 ssd in the gaming rig wasn't cheap and neither was the GPU.  If I can figure out how to get steam streaming to work inside the unRAID build my server will definitely become my primary focus.  Having an issue with GPU pass through at the moment.  But if/when i get that sorted out my server will get one hell of an upgrade and my main pc will probably become an intel nuc strapped to the back of one of my monitors.

Someday I'd like to be cool like @@JeremyFr79 and have an ESXi/SAN environment set up but my other hobby is my 1976 C10 that I'm slowly restoring.  That truck, or Tammy as I like to call her, is like a giant hole you throw money in and its never seen again.

• Like 1

colejack

My main workstation came from ebay parts and leftovers from work. Just a 2nd Gen i5, 16GB RAM, 250GB EVO, 2TB WD, GTX 660.

My rack setup has set me back a bit but it gets used for much more than just Emby. Rack Link Here

Edited by colejack

• 5 months later...
CharleyVarrick

Like JeremyFr79, as soon as server#1 was built.

But I have a feeling this will change sooner than later though.

I was looking at the specs of my smartphone (a very mid range model) and was shocked to see It supports a 2TB microSD card in it (when they sell that, eventually).

I figure within 10 years, we will see an explosion implosion in the physical size of multi TB storage.

My desktop server with 7x 3.5" 6TB mech. drives weighs a ton, but soon, I believe I will carry that much on something the size of a memory stick.