Most Videos Not Streaming Over WAN

Dazik
Go to solution Solved by scharbag,

Hello,

Since last night (possibly longer) I am having issues with playback over WAN using the web client (haven't tried others).

What happens is you will play a video and it just shows the player with no controls. I checked the logs and the only "error" is the client closing the player after giving up on the load (I tried letting it load for 5 minutes just to see if it was delaying).

Version 3.1.0.0

System.IO.IOException: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

This is not related to ports/connection itself. As I said it worked for a couple of files I tried. One video in question I was trying to load when this occurred is:-

CodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x544
Aspect ratio2.35:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate24
Bitrate990 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
NAL4

Languageund
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileHE-AAC
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate174 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleUnd AAC 5.1 Default

Any insights are appreciated.

Hi, we're sorry to hear about this. In order to best help you, please provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

That's just it Luke, if there where an error or anything out of the normal I'd have mentioned it. It doesn't show any error and the logs don't give anything different than a normal working video.

However, I went back to this and noticed the video does eventually load. I tested via a tunnel (outside LAN) and had to wait a good 2-3 minutes for the video to start. When doing the same from a different connection entirely (fully WAN) I gave up waiting after 8 minutes. The only difference in the two is latency, through tunnel I have 20-35ms and 15mbit down (limited it), through other connection 340ms and 15mbit down.  So this may be why nothing is reported out of the norm in the logs.

Was there by any chance something changed in the past few days (again, maybe longer, not sure how old the issue is, up to a week) that would delay video loading, maybe based on latency or even buffering?

scharbag

I am having the same problem.  Local playback to MB clients and web browsers on my LAN are fine.  Playback over WAN will not play.  Everything looks fine but instead of loading and playing, it just hangs with the initial black screen with a pause button.  It does not issue any obvious errors on the web interface.  The server dashboard does not update to show the show as being played either.  I also see the same error as the OP posted with the player being closed.

Any help would be great.  Please let me know what information would be useful.

Cheers,

Turning off the christmas theme seems to have fixed the issue for me over a WAN connection.

How did I not realize that was the problem!? That was it for me as well, good catch.