Playback stops on certain files

blk96gt

I first noticed this issue using the Emby app on the NVidia Shield TV, but once I started using Emby for Kodi on my Shield TV's I haven't had the problem.  However, I recently got an AFTV for the garage and purchased the Emby app.  From what I can figure out this only happens on files that were encoded with audio tracks encoded with the AAC codec, specifically if there are two audio tracks.  The first track is downmixed to Dolby ProLogic II using the AAC codec, the second track is audio passthrough with the AC3 codec.  The files are encoded using Handbrake, with the source file an MKV from makeMKV.  I've found that I can fix the issue by encoding the first audio track with the AC3 codec instead of ACC, but I still have a decent amount of other files that I would have to re-encode, which I would prefer not to do.  I can also bypass the issue by lowering the bitrate on the client to force the server to transcode, but this is a poor solution since the client should be able to direct play the file with no issues and I would prefer not to put the load on my server.

I can provide the log if necessary, but it's not spitting out any errors, just shows playback has stopped.  There is no transcoding log since the file is trying to direct play on the client.

The only thing I can think to tell you to try right now is to hit the "!" button on the OSD before the problem occurs and then see if it still does.

It is a new option to try and allow you to deal with issues just like this - where there is no actual error but the player has some sort of trouble with your item.

• 2 months later...
paul777

Hi,

The "!" option is working for me to fix videos that just stop for no reason, I seem to be finding more and more that are affected. Can I ask firstly what does this option actually do? and is there a way to make it the default? - getting in there can be an issue for some of the family.

thanks

(Fire TV 2 connected to 4K Panasonic, cabled LAN)

paul777

If it helps the attached log includes playback that fails after a minute or so (starting around 15:31, then a restart which I manually switch over with the "!" to working playback). The video is direct streamed no transcoding.

server-63623710676.txt