PS3 / DLNA stutters, very low CPU usage

bradford
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

bradford

As the title says, DLNA playing on a PS3 stutters really bad. It looks like it's about 10-15 fps. I set up QuickSync and it's much better, but it's still stuttering with low CPU. I have a 5th gen i3, but the red flag to me is the fact that CPU usage is really low.

I had this problem with prior versions, and it persists with server 3.1

Attached are the logs.

directstream.log

server.log

Edited by bradford

• Solution

It's stream copying the original video so there is no video transcoding even happening, which means that toggling quick sync didn't actually matter. If I had to guess, the content bitrate is either too high for your network or ps3 to handle, probably the ps3. The ps3 can really only handle 15mbps tops, and this video is right around there. Since mpgs are always more difficult, do you have a simpler video you can test for comparison, like an mp4 or mkv?

• Like 1

bradford

It's stream copying the original video so there is no video transcoding even happening, which means that toggling quick sync didn't actually matter. If I had to guess, the content bitrate is either too high for your network or ps3 to handle, probably the ps3. The ps3 can really only handle 15mbps tops, and this video is right around there. Since mpgs are always more difficult, do you have a simpler video you can test for comparison, like an mp4 or mkv?

Excellent point, I figured that since the ps3 can handle the bitrates of bluray, it could handle a bluray rip! Attached are a couple more logs; the lower bitrate films work well. Thanks for the help. I may have to pick my parents up an android TV, since nothing can beat my Shield TV experience wrt Emby.

foreigncorrespondant.log

theartist.log

server.zip

Edited by bradford

bradford

We grabbed a Mi Box for $70 from WalMart and it works flawlessly. If I were to troubleshoot this further, I would reduce the bitrate for the PS3 DLNA profile to force it to transcode.