Multiple Versions System

AmericanCrisis

AmericanCrisis

I posted this in the Kodi section but have determined it isn't a Kodi problem.

Recently, I have began to re-encode my library of MKV Blu Ray rips via Handbrake to a smaller, MP4 file with an AC3 audio track (to keep transcoding to a minimum for remote clients).  I have been putting these MP4 files into the same folder as their MKV counterparts.  I have used the naming scheme recommended in the guide:

movie name (year).mkv

movie name (year).mp4

I don't put 1080p in the file name as both of the files are 1080p, albeit the MP4 is a much smaller bit-rate.

So here is the problem... out of the 20+ re-encoded MP4 files I have done so far, about half of them are playing by default on my HTPC via both Kodi (with Emby plugin) and Emby Theater.  In other words, the MKV file with a DTS-HD audio track is not playing by default but instead the smaller MP4 file with AC3 audio track is playing.  The system is seeing the MP4 as the preferred file to play in this instance, when obviously my HTPC should be playing the full bit-rate MKV file.

It seems that this problem is only apparent in about half the re-encoded files so far.  So about half the time the server is picking the full bit-rate MKV file.  Any suggestions?

AmericanCrisis

I get that the guide says to use the " - " but in my situation both the MKV file and the MP4 file are 1080p.  So what would I do?

Would this be appropriate:

The Sting (1973) - 1080p.mkv

The Sting (1973) - 1080p.mp4

If this is right I don't see how it would solve my problem with the MP4 playing over the MKV file for my HTPC.  It seems there should be a trigger on the Multiple Versions System to force the MKV file (since it is usually superior) to play if the client device can handle the given bit-rate.

AmericanCrisis

I would appreciate any help on this topic... I definitely don't want to scrap my work on re-encoding but it is tempting.  

This is what I've noticed after doing some digging.  I went into the metadata manager to inspect the movies that weren't playing the full bit-rate MKV version.  One of the movies I inspected was Peter Pan.  What looks suspicious is the file path which is:

\\Server\Movies\Peter Pan (1953)\Peter Pan (1953).mp4

All of the movies that aren't playing the full bit-rate MKV file have their file path as the .mp4 in the metadata manager.  The others are all .mkv in metadata manager.  It doesn't allow me to manually change it.  I'm pretty sure this is the reason why when I "direct play" using Kodi or Emby Theater it is using the MP4 file and not the MKV file.  So... how do I remedy this???

EDIT:  I also noticed that Godfather (which is another problem file where the mp4 is playing) is on the metadata manager twice.  The first one has a file path of mp4 and the other has a file path of mkv.  The mkv file path has a drop down above the file path location where is says "content type" and the choices are inherit and tv (what are these).  Also, the mkv version in metadata manager doesn't have any metadata filled in. 

Edited by jhugh