How to handle two versions of the same TV show?

TheRealWargazm

TheRealWargazm

As an example, Friends.  I have Standard definition DVD rips and HD blu-ray rips.  I'd like to keep both.

I figured I could set up my directory structure like this:

TV Shows
- Friends
--- Season 1
------ s01e01.mkv
------ s01e02.mkv
------ etc.
--- Season 2
------ s02e01.mkv
------ s02e02.mkv
------ etc.
--- etc.
- Friends (HD)
--- Season 1
------ s01e01.mkv
------ s01e02.mkv
------ etc.
--- Season 2
------ s02e01.mkv
------ s02e02.mkv
------ etc.
--- etc.

I then set up the scrapers to just scrape the metadata for the same show ID from TheTVDB.

But once I did that, I didn't end up with two shows, I ended up with one show and all the episodes are duplicated.  Which is definitely not what I want!

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Happy2Play

The next server version will have an Library option "Automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders" on each TV library.  Currently they have to reside in different libraries.

TheRealWargazm

Oh, I see.  So just to be clear: I just have to wait for the next server release and uncheck that option?  Will the issue just resolve itself, or will I have to delete the two series fully and re-add them?

Happy2Play

I would have to find the topic that discusses this "Pooling" option but I don't believe you will have to do anything but uncheck the option and perform a library scan.

Happy2Play

Current the Beta and Dev versions.  It shouldn't be long before it is moved to stable.  If you decide to install the beta just know with all the current changes you would basically have to do a clean install to downgrade back to stable track.

• 4 months later...
TheRealWargazm

Bumping this because I have yet to get this to work (just revisited it yesterday, actually). I'm not sure if it's a problem with Emby, a problem with Kodi, or user error.  

The two TV series (SD and HD versions) keep getting combined in Kodi, even though they show up as separate series in the Emby web app. Ultimately I want the two versions to show up as different shows in Kodi.  

Any help is appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

Happy2Play

If the web client is displaying them properly then this would point to a Kodi issue.

@@Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Emby for Kodi doesn't support multiple versions of the same show. Right now, it's automatically set to merge shows with the same tvdb together.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
TheRealWargazm

HI Angel, just bumping this to ask if this feature had been implemented any time in the last year and a half or so in Emby for Kodi.  Thanks in advance!