Transcoding Superbug?

mmmann

Dear Mr. Developer(s),

I may have run into a transcoding superbug -- it looks like everything I send to my JU645D is being transcoded. This is with the latest Tizen app (*.16, I presume). Every postage stamp video overview says "transcoding" and the log file(s) are filled with ffmpeg-transcode*.txt files. I just noticed this and will need to do some investigation. I'll post log files when I have things narrowed down. Can you instruct me the type of matrix you'd like to see for a bug report -- containers, video codecs, sound codecs, etc.? I'll spend some time testing various media and try to put together a well-written bug report.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi there, can you please discuss a specific example and then attach the log file(s) for that example? thanks !

Luke,

Thank you for your interest in this problem. Please forgive me for the lapse in time.

Attachments:

A ffmpeg-transcode*.txt log file, trying to play Watchmen in 4K (2160p) and HEVC.

A ffmpeg-transcode*.txt log file, trying to play Prometheus, a 1080p movie in x264.

Pages 150 to 161 of the specifications PDF.

ENG_US-HMUATSCJ-1.318-1203.151-160.pdf

20161220-Emby-Prometheus-1080p.txt

20161220-Emby-Watchmen-2160p.txt

What is the issue here? It looks like you're just not getting fast enough transcoding performance to make it watchable. Now we can certainly talk about whether it should be transcoding at all, but the transcoding itself looks OK to me.

Please look at the log files and debug why almost everything is transcoding. I included a 1080p movie and a 4K movie.

Yes, sir. The UN85JU645D[FXZA].

For more information (other than the specifications and log files I attached two posts ago), see my avsforum post on the subject. Also, the JU645D is now (finally) available on the Samsung website. That link is also posted inside the avsforum thread.

Thank you in advance.

Luke, are you the developer (or one of) for the Samsung-Emby application ? I'd like to address my post properly.

Dear Luke,

I've attached another log file for you: Lone Survivor in 2160p, HEVC, 6.1, AC3, 2.0 (according to MediaInfo). It is transcoding. It appears that all 4K HEVC files transcode onto my 4K, HEVC-capable television, the quad-core, 2015 JU645D (a rebadged JU7100).

More information for you:

1) The television can play these files without problem. I transferred one onto a USB 3.0 key and it played beautifully.

2) Samsung's specifications pages (attached) are inaccurate: this TV can handle HEVC Main-10 @ Main6.1 (the level that MediaInfo reports).

Transcoding should not be required. Maybe the overall bitrate is the problem? Why does the config page top out at 60Mbs? Can you fix this and let me try again on the next version? How about entering bit rates all the way up to 125Mbs (the theoretical maximum)? While you're in there, fix the hardcoded "1080p" text strings--they're misleading and confusing.

If it's not the bitrate, then can you please look at the log file and tell me what the problem is. I have no problem re-encoding files to suit my hardware, but I am not empowered to do so at the moment because Emby doesn't provide clear and simple information as to WHY the transcoding is happening.

Thank you.

ffmpeg-transcode-Lone-Survivor.log

ENG_US-HMUATSCJ-1.318-1203.151-160.pdf

FrostByte

If nothing else the option for bitrate should be bumped up to at least 80 as that's what the manual for this model says is the max for H265, but like you noticed sometimes the manual can be outdated with firmware updates, etc

• Like 1

The bitrate is the issue and we will review it for a future release.

I thought the 2015 models had a lower supported bitrate than 2016?

FrostByte

Every video codec is different, but it looks like the max bitrate is pretty much the same between the 2 years with a few exceptions.  The Standard FHD models for each year are really low though, like 20 Mbps

I think where you got the 60 Mbps was the limit for H264, the limit for H265 is 80 Mbps for 2015 and 2016 UHD models

http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specification/tv-model-lineup/2015-tv-media-specifications

http://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specification/tv-model-lineup/2016-tv-media-specifications

• Like 1

@@Luke, this being the case, you could pull in my changes for all Tizen models.  If we need to it doesn't look hard to detect whether it's a UHD or FHD model.  FHD is 20Mbps for all codecs. This might be better than differentiating by model years.

Edited by SamES
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Luke, et al.

It appears that you're going to address this ongoing max-stream-rate problem in the next *.19 release. Awesome. My powerful 2015 JU is capped at 20Mbs according to the log. It's crippling my movie playback.

Suggestion: fix the code however you like, by trying to recognize more model #s or by replacing w/the SamES code. BUT, please put in an option to skip all that, entirely, and allow the user to enter a number, manually, or remove the cap altogether. If the # is too high then the TV will cough and stutter, I suppose. Fine--a warning can be on-screen when using that option. But it's clear that the attempt to slap Mbs limits on the TVs is quite fraught with pitfalls. If you're going to fix it in *.19, please also include a method to jump around the code completely.

Thanks.

Edited by mmmann