Set max streaming bitrate based on connection type

psubsee2002

psubsee2002

We have 7 mobile devices that access my server via the Android app. Some are exclusively WiFi, but most are 3G/4G+WiFi.

Usually I try to stream via WiFi but occasionally I end up on 4G or 3G connection. Since my 4G service does not have unlimited data, I would like to throttle the bit rate automatically when I am connected over a 3G/4G service so I am consuming as little data as possible when streaming from my Emby server when not on WiFi.

If my memory is accurate, the original android app (which was 3rd party) had a similar feature that would set the maximum bit rate based on the connection type. I'm requesting a similar feature be implemented in the current in-house android app and possibly the other apps that could have 4G connections

Edited by psubsee2002
  • Like 3

optimalt

+1. I usually get 75-100 Mbit/s on my phone over LTE advanced so Emby wants to direct stream almost everything if I leave it on automatic which can become expensive. On wifi, on the other hand, I of course want as high bitrate as possible

psubsee2002

Hi @@psubsee2002

Yes this is probably a good idea. Have you tried just leaving it on automatic though?

Auto seems to be designed to provide the best possible bit rate based on connection quality, and I can get 3 or 4 Mbps with a marginal LTE signal, which can still add up. And from personal experience, I once blew through my data allowance in one evening when I forgot my WiFi was turned off on my tablet (which is set to auto).

Happy2Play

Wouldn't setting "Internet streaming bitrate limit" still accomplish what you need?  Where wifi isn't a external connection useless you are using some else's wifi.

optimalt

Wouldn't setting "Internet streaming bitrate limit" still accomplish what you need? Where wifi isn't a external connection useless you are using some else's wifi.

I guess so. Where can I find that setting on the Android client?

psubsee2002

@@optimalt

It is actually a setting in the server, not the app. It will limit all external connections.

@@Happy2Play

I was considering doing that until/if this feature is implemented, but between everyone who connects to my server, there is enough use on external Wi-Fi connections, that it would be nice to have the flexibility to only limit 3G/4G connections.

• Like 1

shorty1483

Additionally to @@psubsee2002 and @@optimalt I would again request to also have the possibility to include VPN connected devices (perhaps identified using IPs/IP ranges managed in server settings?) into this scenario.

Reason: The same as stated in OP, but the server thinks it's a local device, so @@Happy2Play 's suggestion unfortunately doesn't stick.

Jdiesel

+1. I usually get 75-100 Mbit/s on my phone over LTE advanced so Emby wants to direct stream almost everything if I leave it on automatic which can become expensive. On wifi, on the other hand, I of course want as high bitrate as possible

I would agree with this. If I am using my carriers network I want to use the lowest bitrate I can get away with. Direct playing one movie unknowingly could burn through a months worth of data which is why I have my phone set to use 720p 2Mbps by default even when I'm on my own network in case I forget to switch it or my wifi goes down and I don't notice I'm connected to my carriers network.