Using Let's Encrypt with Dynamic DNS

Chomicz

Technically not an Emby question, but as the community is very helpful thought I post a quick question.  I currently have Emby sitting on Windows which happens to run a SoftEther VPN server.  I use SoftEther's Dynamic DNS and the URL works fine (you can choose whatever subdomain you want, it just has to end in softether.net) but it would be great to secure the URL with an SSL that isn't self certified.  Anyone have an ideas how to get Let's Encrypt or something similar working when you only 'own' a subdomain?

Hey, 

Check out 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42315-creating-a-letsencrypt-ssl-certificate-for-emby/&do=findComment&comment=393830

I do this for my emby and works just fine.  I see no reason that it should not work on windows. but optaing a cert on windows machine is harder than linux since there is no certbot.,

and as per specs on Certificate authority and rules from ICANN you cannot issue an SSL certificate to a domain you do not have control over.  

The PowerShell client for Windows makes it easy to get an letsencrypt certificate. It is referenced on the letsencrypt documentation.

softether.net is not on the "public suffix list" - Check out the letsencrypt doc to fine another dynamic dns provider. Since you dont have control on the DNS you will need to validate with a webserver behind your fqdn.

/Regards

Edited by Blob