Anyone use Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and connect an HTPC to it?

Crestj

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this?

The reason I ask is because the HTPC becomes part of a domain when you connect it to the server.

I presume using MBC in this set up will be as easy as it is now in a workgroup but you never know!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I run the MB server as a service on an Essentials 2012 server and stream to both Roku and WMC/MB as well as Xboxes without any issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks, that's good to know. Btw does MBserver have the ability to restart it's own service from the MB dashboard yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I use server 2012 r2 essentials with a domain for all the personal computers. However, I left the HTPCs all out of the domain (i3 based computers). I just created an extra user in the domain with read only access to the media folders (as MBT requires access to the files). You just have to browse to the files once and remember the user/pass and off you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: just finished moving everything over to my new 2012 R2 server and it all works great apart from 1 thing, starting apps at login.

I have an account auto login so that services such as Crashplan, MCM, Google Music Manager, Squeezebox server, etc can startup and run.

The whole startup group has me completely confused (and I design enterprise server systems for a living! :huh: )

I presumed that the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp or C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder would contain the apps set to startup at login but it was empty.

The registry windows\run key was also empty (apart from a Drivepool app).

The weird thing is that MB3 server (not a service) and Google Music Manager startup at login and I can't find out where they are set!

I guess this would be the same for Win8.1.

Any ideas where I can find where MB3 server is set to auto start so I can maybe use that area to set app to start?

Edited by Crestj

Logos302

you could try using task scheduler and use it to start the apps.  It has a function at logon.  or switch MB3 to run as a service and then you don't have to login to your server at all.   

I run Server 2012 Essentials (Not R2).  

I had thought about that but task scheduler doesn't always start the tray icons.

TBH mb3 is fine it's the other apps that aren't services that are causing issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

After some testing I found the location that was required and worked perfectly.

HKEY_USERS\<USER SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

It didn't work under any normal Run reg key or programdata folder.

Learn something new every day!

• 4 months later...

I'm a lazy admin, and really don't have much time to invest in this so I am hoping someone may have stumbled apon this already.

So ill place this in here before making a new post.

I also run Server 2012 E as my media server. though I run it as a headless server.

My issue is that Media Browser Server will not start automatically unless I log into it, I don't want to do that. I have been using the old MB on my clients for a couple of years now and never had an issue, I switched to the new MB3 because I was forced to as I could no longer browse add-ons on the old plugin. that beside the point I do really like the new system in general.

my server = HP ML350 g5 - 8GB RAM - SAS storage - Dual Zeon - teamed NIC with 2GB up -

Software = Server 2012 essentials (not R2) - Media Browser Server (whatever version we are on now - I've only hade it a week)

network = Cisco 3750 G

Clients = Various client HTPC's and laptops.

situation = So I rent 2 rooms out and have both the lounge and family room HTPC's running MBC (I tried MBT but playback shuddered on one of the systems). my tenants have their own domain accounts with read only access to my media, and no access to my personal media. (this is important to me. I don't want them installing rubbish or modifying my media library) 

I shut down the server every night before I go to bed to save power (350W registered in ILO) and start it when I get home.

everything is awesome, but only I can log into the server (for obvious reasons) my tenants can and used to start the box if wasn't home yet, but now the service will not start unless I log in!

I have tried running MBS as a desktop app, but that is useless to me because it will only start if you actually open the Server 2012 desktop app

I have tried scheduling a task for both service and app they both work on demand, but neither will start unless I log in, even after selecting "start at system start"

I obviously changed the service properties for auto start and tried delayed auto start, I also tried system and various other user accounts

I also extended the service timeout period to 5min, but that shouldn't matter anyway as the service will start fine in about 20sec if I manually start it

I also have the service running a script if it fails (which is just media browser exe - service) that works independently.

the issue is that the service simply doesn't start unless I start it manually

the error in event viewer is "event ID 0 - service cannot be started. the process could not connect to the service controller"

I cant leave the server running, I wont give my tenant access to my server.

the only option I can see right now is to create a service account and use it to start the service and then create a task on each pc and laptop (9 in total - no good on androids etc) that will run a script to start the service remotely using the service account.  

that's rubbish! I would almost rather go back to the old method of no MBS and clients only.

all the built in services start fine - file share etc. this damn thing wont.

Edited by DUG

DeeMac

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this? The reason I ask is because the HTPC becomes part of a domain when you connect it to the server. I presume using MBC in this set up will be as easy as it is now in a workgroup but you never know! Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I run a test windows 2012 r2 standard server with the essentials experience (as a vm) which is mainly for backups of my client machines.  I ran the client connector on the clients but with a registry entry, the clients did not join the domain.  see h t t p://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/aa40963c-7235-40f7-85f5-8f8d030a7c13/how-to-skip-domain-joining-during-client-deployment-in-a-windows-server-2012-essentials-network?forum=winserveressentials

I run my media browser on one of the clients, a windows 7 machine which is my HTPC.  This machine is the HOST for the server 2012 vm mentioned earlier.  I run MB on the Windows 7 machine as a service, not an app. The service wont start if the app is running.  As a Systems Admin, I can safely say that the MB service should run on a Windows Server, without having to login... thats the whole point of a service.  MB3 doesn't seem to be able to stop and restart the service automatically for an upgrade.

As for DUG, would it be easy to just LOCK the desktop after making sure the MB app is running?  Once again, make sure the app is not running, as it will interfere with the service.

I run a test windows 2012 r2 standard server with the essentials experience (as a vm) which is mainly for backups of my client machines.  I ran the client connector on the clients but with a registry entry, the clients did not join the domain.  see h t t p://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/aa40963c-7235-40f7-85f5-8f8d030a7c13/how-to-skip-domain-joining-during-client-deployment-in-a-windows-server-2012-essentials-network?forum=winserveressentials

I run my media browser on one of the clients, a windows 7 machine which is my HTPC.  This machine is the HOST for the server 2012 vm mentioned earlier.  I run MB on the Windows 7 machine as a service, not an app. The service wont start if the app is running.  As a Systems Admin, I can safely say that the MB service should run on a Windows Server, without having to login... thats the whole point of a service.  MB3 doesn't seem to be able to stop and restart the service automatically for an upgrade.

As for DUG, would it be easy to just LOCK the desktop after making sure the MB app is running?  Once again, make sure the app is not running, as it will interfere with the service.

Thanks for the response DeeMac

My scenario is a bit different to yours. My Server is a physical and as I said in my post above, I switch it off late at night and don’t power it back on until I return from work the next afternoon.

The problem is that sometimes my tenant may have the day off or return from work earlier than I do. As he cannot log into the 2012 server (his account is limited) he cannot start the service.

I run it as a service and I am aware that the app conflicts, so one or the other.

I am also aware of the client connector work around, but I prefer to have people on the domain as limited users. As I stated I have many systems which they can access.

I have a theory that the issue has something to do with the installation path of the MBS.. Why did the devs install it into the users roaming profile location and within a hidden file structure at that!

I will play around when I have a chance and post back, I don’t remember being presented with install path option.

For this to work for me, MBS MUST be able to be started by Service Control Manager without a user session being active, and I see no reason why the elevated system account can’t be used (providing that the exe is in a default windows location not a user profile location)

I have a theory that the issue has something to do with the installation path of the MBS.. Why did the devs install it into the users roaming profile location and within a hidden file structure at that!

I will play around when I have a chance and post back, I don’t remember being presented with install path option.

Only way we can be sure our auto update routines will work.

saajan4u

How do you guys go on about running TV card on them can you get wmc to run for TV service

used tapatalk on me Samsung S4

kfonda

@@ebr The auto update routines don't work for several people. See this thread http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/6865-server-process-is-not-closing-on-restart-or-restart-is-attempted-to-soon/

I posted the logs @@Luke wanted but still have not heard anything about it.

@@DUG, I cheat and use the Autolongon program from SysInternals. It can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963905.aspx

Not the most secure, but if someone wants to break into my house to gain access to my server that will probably be the least of my problems.:-)

Edited by kfonda

what you guys can do in the meantime is collect info the next time it happens

- are any users watching content? If so, are any transcoding?

- Are there any scheduled tasks running?

- Are there any open ffmpeg or ffprobe processes?

jhoff80

Honestly, I do run Server 2012 R2 Essentials, but the domain thing is useless to me.  I don't bother with it at all.  In my small home network there is zero advantage to running a domain.  I need backups, I need NAS, I need pooling (done via DriveBender in my case), and I need a few Windows tasks and services running in the background on the Server.  Group Policy, Folder Redirect, any of that extra nonsense is unnecessary when I'm dealing with a grand total of 4 PCs.

If you're in the same situation, I suggest following this:

http://www.tinkertry.com/how-to-make-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-client-connector-install-behave-just-like-windows-home-server/

It's similar to what's already mentioned above, with the added bonus of not screwing with DNS settings on client PCs either.

Edited by jhoff80
  • Like 1

DeeMac

Honestly, I do run Server 2012 R2 Essentials, but the domain thing is useless to me.  I don't bother with it at all.  In my small home network there is zero advantage to running a domain.  I need backups, I need NAS, I need pooling (done via DriveBender in my case), and I need a few Windows tasks and services running in the background on the Server.  Group Policy, Folder Redirect, any of that extra nonsense is unnecessary when I'm dealing with a grand total of 4 PCs.

If you're in the same situation, I suggest following this:

http://www.tinkertry.com/how-to-make-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-client-connector-install-behave-just-like-windows-home-server/

It's similar to what's already mentioned above, with the added bonus of not screwing with DNS settings on client PCs either.

Same for me... Agreed!  Tinkertry is using the info I linked to above from Microsoft.. h t t p://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/aa40963c-7235-40f7-85f5-8f8d030a7c13/how-to-skip-domain-joining-during-client-deployment-in-a-windows-server-2012-essentials-network?forum=winserveressentials

I'm a lazy admin, and really don't have much time to invest in this so I am hoping someone may have stumbled apon this already.

So ill place this in here before making a new post.

I also run Server 2012 E as my media server. though I run it as a headless server.

My issue is that Media Browser Server will not start automatically unless I log into it, I don't want to do that. I have been using the old MB on my clients for a couple of years now and never had an issue, I switched to the new MB3 because I was forced to as I could no longer browse add-ons on the old plugin. that beside the point I do really like the new system in general.

my server = HP ML350 g5 - 8GB RAM - SAS storage - Dual Zeon - teamed NIC with 2GB up -

Software = Server 2012 essentials (not R2) - Media Browser Server (whatever version we are on now - I've only hade it a week)

network = Cisco 3750 G

Clients = Various client HTPC's and laptops.

situation = So I rent 2 rooms out and have both the lounge and family room HTPC's running MBC (I tried MBT but playback shuddered on one of the systems). my tenants have their own domain accounts with read only access to my media, and no access to my personal media. (this is important to me. I don't want them installing rubbish or modifying my media library) 

I shut down the server every night before I go to bed to save power (350W registered in ILO) and start it when I get home.

everything is awesome, but only I can log into the server (for obvious reasons) my tenants can and used to start the box if wasn't home yet, but now the service will not start unless I log in!

I have tried running MBS as a desktop app, but that is useless to me because it will only start if you actually open the Server 2012 desktop app

I have tried scheduling a task for both service and app they both work on demand, but neither will start unless I log in, even after selecting "start at system start"

I obviously changed the service properties for auto start and tried delayed auto start, I also tried system and various other user accounts

I also extended the service timeout period to 5min, but that shouldn't matter anyway as the service will start fine in about 20sec if I manually start it

I also have the service running a script if it fails (which is just media browser exe - service) that works independently.

the issue is that the service simply doesn't start unless I start it manually

the error in event viewer is "event ID 0 - service cannot be started. the process could not connect to the service controller"

I cant leave the server running, I wont give my tenant access to my server.

the only option I can see right now is to create a service account and use it to start the service and then create a task on each pc and laptop (9 in total - no good on androids etc) that will run a script to start the service remotely using the service account.  

that's rubbish! I would almost rather go back to the old method of no MBS and clients only.

all the built in services start fine - file share etc. this damn thing wont.

Ok I just did it anyway! ill sort another solution later.

So for now, I am running a scheduled task on all the windows machines using the serveradmin creds (the same account that MBS is installed on) that runs a powershell script to start the mediabrowser service on the serrver at log in of any user, and repeats ever 5 min for an hour.

That way if someone comes home and powers on the server in the office and then logs into one of my HTPC's eventually the service will start, and it will still work if they power the PC up first.

If i dont find a better solution I will set this option up as an AD login script for all users. so I dont have think about it on new PC's

If i dont find a better solution I will set this option up as an AD login script for all users. so I dont have think about it on new PC's

Yes, that the solution I test with before and it work fine.

• 4 weeks later...
xmathx

Anyone have problem with restarting the media browser server on windows server 2012 essentials  ? When I click restart its never work and I need to end the process of the media browser then start the media server .