Artist -> Artists

Luke

Sorry for the breaking change, but in the latest code Artist has become plural, and is now Artists. I'll push a nuget update shortly.

I removed them from People because it's duplicated info, and if another provider were to ever set Artists it would have to know to keep People in sync.

The dashboard collection browsing area is based on the entities, but the music preset view will be based on the artists that appear in metadata, so i am also in process of adding an Artists folder under ibn. they'll have to be in a shared location such as that since an artist can appear multiple times.

But why wouldn't we eliminate the special "Artist" property instead?

I thought the whole reason we had a People collection was to avoid these kinds of special circumstances. Now we have all people, except this one kind, in the people collection...

IOW - why is a music artist any different than any other performer?

I see what you're saying. Yes, it should be one or the other. The issue right now is there's a separate GetArtist method. We can't mix them in the people folder. So if we put them in the people list, then we'll have to tell everyone who wants to get an artist that they'll have to examine person type and call one of two methds. I did it the way i did in order to make it as developer friendly as possible. You get a strongly typed Artists property and it puts the burden on indexing to figure it out.

We could still provide a GetArtist method to insulate it from the consumer (People.Where(p => p.Type == MusicArtist)).

I don't really see why we need a separate place for these types of people internally. We already have the people collection and the people area of the IBN.

All of the person methods are based on just a name. The consumer doesn't pass in type. If we mix them then we'll end up hitting themoviedb for artists, as well as lastfm for actors.

All of the person methods are based on just a name. The consumer doesn't pass in type. If we mix them then we'll end up hitting themoviedb for artists, as well as lastfm for actors.

Crap. Seems like we screwed up here but I guess we're pregnant now.

Yea putting name on a uri isn't the greatest, but it's the pattern went with. We don't have any ability to get IBN items by id alone, which would be more ideal. i guess that's an api v2 wishlist item.

Deepest apologies for waffling on this, but after comparing to other music api's, I think I'm to stick to simple and keep Artist singular. I'll update nuget tonight.

sorry to flip flop yet again, but it is actually going to be plural. There will always be just one for songs, so your presentations can stay the same. But for albums I would like to be able to send back all artists that appear in it, so it's plural.