Live TV - Great from a plex user!

maegibbons

maegibbons

Hi

I have been trying out emby mainly because of Live TV and it certainly scores very well in this area,

I have it hooked up with a HDhomerun Connect and sorted out my epg issues with Schedules Direct

I've also got a couple of paid m3u streams and the selected channels from those I have added to the epg as well.

So things are going well - LOVE the fact that i can record from everything.

So this brings me on to my problems.

1 Active Recordings

On a web browser or from the android app I can find "Active Recordings" whuch is great because i very often start watching a program late but not after it has finished.  On Windows Theatre or Roku I cannot find active recordings and hence cannot start watching a program currently being recorded!!!  Maybe I cannot find them and being stupid!

2 Transcoding

It appears that watching recordings from HDhomerun are NOT transcoded when played on android or Windows theatre but are if played in a browser or Roku.  Why do they have to transcode for the Roku especially?

3 Roku App

I Appreciate this cannot be instant but the Roku app reminds me of where plex was a few years ago.  They seem to have got round the block limitations in their latest app - think the emby one needs some more love.  Again this is not a criticism more an observation of state of play.

4 Series Recording

You have the option in settings to select "Around XX:XX" so that you can filter out same day repeats or other series. However sometimes they show 2 episodes back to back and using this it filters out the second episode.  It would be better to be able to specify "between xx:xx and yy:yy" to capture the daily window you want.

5 Tuner precedence

When a recording is scheduled there should be an option to force override another connection if that connection is streaming live tv.  You may have left your roku streaming to no one so ANY recording should take preference if there is no tuner available dump any that are being used for live tv.

Conclusion

Emby is way ahead in Live TV and recording m3u streams than plex.  Keep up the excellent work.

KR's

Mark

• Like 1

maegibbons

Just an update.

To get around the "Active Recordings" not being shown in theatre or Roku I tried casting from my android phone an active recording.

This worked on Theatre the recording file played.

On the Roku it jus crashed the emby app and went back to home page.

Krs

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Plex user as well who needed the live TV option. One suggestion - when setting up to record a series, there should be an option to record all episodes in SD vs HD. For a series that appears on one network, that isn't an issue as you can lock it to the HD channel, but for others that span multiple networks such as Big Bang Theory, Law & Order, etc. It would be nice to specify that it should only record the HD episodes.

Thanks,

---peter