Device Profiles for Audio: 2 different room setups that both use a Nexus Player

nuahsocramid

nuahsocramid

Good day everyone.

I have 2 different room setups that are both utilizing Nexus Players.

Room 1:

TV & Nexus Player

Room 2:

TV, AVR & Nexus Player

My unRAID server isnt the strongest...so I'm attempting to direct play everything that I can. My question is surrounding audio channels. Is there a way to create device profiles so that if a video has both an AAC & DTS audio file that Room 1 always gets the AAC while Room 2 would always get the DTS (or DD/True-HD/Other)?

Or is there another setting in either the App or Emby Server that I'm missing that would handle this? Or do I need to handbrake my files in a specific way?

I appreciate your time.

First, I would just try it out with the defaults.  You may find that your TV can handle the multi-channel audio and downmix it itself.  I actually went through four TVs before I found one that only could handle 2-channel input so it may just work.

If not, then there is a setting in the Android TV app that you can set to downmix the audio on the one that needs it.

nuahsocramid

I appreciate your response, ebr. Does the down mix to stereo option force the selection of AAC if present in my MKV file? My TV is an older Panasonic plasma....in the audio profile it says "surround sound"....but the manual says nothing about the audio types it supports for "surround sound". When I attempt to play a file that only has an AC-3 audio file my Emby Server shows Room 1 as Direct Streaming. Does Direct Streaming have the same impact on my unRAID server as Direct Playing does?

Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Direct streaming and direct playing will be extremely close to the same thing.

The setting won't force a particular track to be chosen but it will be sure that it is played in a way that should produce sound.

The problem with trying to select different tracks on the different setups is that the server actually remembers the last track selections so it will keep switching back and forth depending on where it is played.  So, the downmix option should get you sound in the limited setup but using the same source track.