can't play mp4 - transcoding and failing

Vicpa
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi,

Got a call from my brother that he couldn't play some content I added. Jeez it is mp4 with ac3.

5848993b88487_mchale.png

Why would it try to transcode this.? Let alone fail with any of these three.

ffmpeg-directstream-bd8bfd06-4b13-403d-b668-b7dc2aec9f5b.txt

ffmpeg-remux-28fefcc4-f80e-4cd1-8282-b75e790b603a.txt

ffmpeg-remux-83cd39e0-8f52-434c-b6f4-4da2a4652f33.txt

1.2.77a I assume he is using. The above is from my attempt with 77a

-vicpa

Single ref frame h.264 in an mp4 container has had playback problems in several instances so the current release transcodes that particular combination.

The new beta will attempt to direct stream it and, if it has problems, allows you to re-try with transcoding.

@@ebr

And none of the transcodes works? they logs look fine but the app just errors out. So basically SOL.

The reason for this is ffmpeg 3.2 and beyond have changed something within mkv headers when converting to mkv on the fly. This is causing all video players on all devices to reject the stream.  We are working to change the transcoding format within the affected apps. In the meantime, a simple solution is staying with an earlier version of ffmpeg.

Based on the tone of the problem report it's clear this created the perception of an Emby problem. Sometimes that's not the case and we end up having to scramble and work around issues created by others. @@legallink can attest to that with the apple video player defects related to DTS audio that have been affecting him. As well as @@Vitale4 with all of the Roku firmware defects.

• Like 1

legallink

i can verify. Apple update made a change which broke playback of files with DTS audio tracks. It didn't matter what order the DTS track was in, it was simply the presence of it caused a player failure.