Movies don't play on other MB Classic Clients

deecemobile

deecemobile

Movies play on the client on same PC as server but not on another PC client. I can see everything but nothing happens when I press play... It is connected to the same user as server computer. Not sure what problem is...

yardameus

Are you able to manually browse to these movies and play them (windows media player or something like that)?  Also, what clients are you trying to play with? 

I'm sure the issue is that you did not define your library in a way that the other machines can see the files.  As it says in the library setup screens - use UNC paths, not mapped drives.  If you did that, then it is probably a permissions problem.

trusselo

A quick rundown on UNC path (network path) for basic installations, with media on server machine

Make sure all computers are joined to the same homegroup. **or option 2 if vista/xp is one of machines

in windows on server machine right click on your "Movies" folder > Share with... >

**For homegroup networks select "Homegroup (read)"

**Option 2 for simple networks with xp/vista installations choose "Specific people..." > type "Everyone" > select "Add" > select "Share" ***not the most secure way but easy. most people have no reasonable risk doing this, unless on large shared networks.

it will now give you a link for your UNC path of your shared folder. Something like " \\YOURNAME-PC\Movies ". You can also find all your shared folders by going to windows "Network" folder, then double clicking your computer.

Use this UNC path in your media browser library.

rinse wash repeat for other media folders, TV, music, ect. ect.

deecemobile

Computers are in same Homegroup. I can transfer, watch and edit files on one machine from another so no permission problems. The MB Classic client looks exactly like the one on the server pc - I can see all videos and artwork.

I'll investigate UNC more

Did I mention the iOS app works fine streaming the videos... so even more confusing.

Edited by deecemobile

Koleckai Silvestri

it will now give you a link for your UNC path of your shared folder. Something like " \\YOURNAME-PC\Movies ". You can also find all your shared folders by going to windows "Network" folder, then double clicking your computer.

The guides on the site say to put a $ at the end of the share name. This actually makes the UNC Path invisible in the Network Browser.

However determining your UNC path is easy. 

If your share is d:\media\movies use \\machine-name\movies.

Machine name is usually the logged in username followed by PC or Laptop unless you change it. You can change your Machine Name by pressing WINKEY+Break. Click on "Advanced System Settings". In the next dialog box select "Computer Name" and click Change.

Edited by Wayne Luke

trusselo

If your share is d:\media\movies use \\machine-name\movies

correction

Edited by trusselo

Koleckai Silvestri

You're right. I actually just have one share \media\.

Within it are UNC symlinks to directories for things like movies, television and music spread across multiple discs.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Computers are in same Homegroup. I can transfer, watch and edit files on one machine from another so no permission problems. The MB Classic client looks exactly like the one on the server pc - I can see all videos and artwork.

I'll investigate UNC more

Did I mention the iOS app works fine streaming the videos... so even more confusing.

Seeing them and playing them are accomplished in two different ways.

Also, the remote clients (iOS, Android and even Roku) all stream content through the server so their playback mechanism is completely different.  MBC plays the content directly so your media needs to be directly accessible by the client machine using the exact same path you used to define it on the server.