Emby theater doesn't respect subscription code when offline

JSH19

I moved to a cabin in the woods without an internet connection. Now emby theater will not play my media because of an invalid subscription code.

Worked fine while the box was online, code is still entered correctly.

Is this a "feature" or have I not properly configured my server for offline use.

Please bear with me on my lack of detail, I have to go 'into town's to get a 4G signal so i am not in front of my computer while I send this.

Hi, it does need to validate periodically, although we are looking at extending this time period to make situations like this easier in the future. thanks.

How often? I took it into the local computer shop last week to run a variety of updates and upgraded to the current server version and current version of emby theater (windows 10) does it not validate during installation? Or is the interval way short (I.e. less than 4 hours?)

omniusaspirer

Luke, why require it to phone home constantly in the first place? Is piracy seriously that much of a concern on a largely open source project? It seems needlessly user hostile, and goes directly against a notable appeal of having a locally stored media collection in the first place.

Luke, why require it to phone home constantly in the first place? Is piracy seriously that much of a concern on a largely open source project? It seems needlessly user hostile, and goes directly against a notable appeal of having a locally stored media collection in the first place.

We are looking at extending the caching length to a long enough period that there should not be any issue anymore. Thank you for your patience.

omniusaspirer

We are looking at extending the caching length to a long enough period that there should not be any issue anymore. Thank you for your patience.

What's the rationale for needing to reauthenticate on a server with a lifetime license? I could of course see the reasoning for those paying for a limited duration, but not needing internet connectivity to be useful was something I perceived to be a competitive advantage against Plex. This isn't affecting me right now, but I have rural family members who've never had internet who I'd hoped to provide with classic content they'd enjoy as they moved into their retirement years- a prospect that they seemed pretty excited about.

What's the rationale for needing to reauthenticate on a server with a lifetime license? I could of course see the reasoning for those paying for a limited duration, but not needing internet connectivity to be useful was something I perceived to be a competitive advantage against Plex. This isn't affecting me right now, but I have rural family members who've never had internet who I'd hoped to provide with classic content they'd enjoy as they moved into their retirement years- a prospect that they seemed pretty excited about.

Your initial assumption was correct.  If we don't do this we allow anyone to "steal" all of the features.