Recomendation for Android TV Stick or Box

Heckler

mastrmind11

Couldn't find a decent deal on a 5-6TB drive, so I picked up 2x3TB ones for a very good price... I'll replace the oldest 1.5TB drive that I've had running 24/7 since mid 2010 in my mediaservers with the other 3TB and RMA the failed one as I think it's got a few months left on it's warranty... I'll use that replacement to swap out with the 2TB drive... and I'll then have around 17TB of storage in total.

Was cheaper to purchase 2x3TB than a single 6TB... by a fair margin too. A saving of over £36

I've had nothing but problems w/ seagate drives over the past few years.  Every time one dies, I replace it w/ a WD NAS drive (which are fantastic, btw).  Only 2 seagates left to die before I'm free.  

Uh oh. I just replaced a dying old WD 1.5 TB with a 3 TB Seagate and a functional but older 1 TB WD with a 2 TB seagate. I guess I will have to cross my fingers.

Edited by Marc_G

Was cheaper to purchase 2x3TB than a single 6TB... by a fair margin too. A saving of over £36

Personally, I think that's a better idea anyway.  I'm capping my drive size at 3TB right now just to have the mechanical redundancy that brings with it.  Imagine if your failing drive had been 6TB of data instead of  2.5...

Having more, smaller (relatively speaking) drives means you have to recover less when one fails.

• Like 3

MSattler

Uh oh. I just replaced a dying old WD 1.5 TB with a 3 TB Seagate and a functional but older 1 TB WD with a 2 TB seagate. I guess I will have to cross my fingers.

So so far, my best drives have been Hitachi, followed by Toshiba.

I have 2TB drives that I've run for 5 years now without any issues.

This is right in line with some of the data that BackBlaze has put out as well.

Heckler

Aside from Toshiba (which are basically Hitachi anyway)... I've had a similar amount of failures across most manufacturers drives over the last 20yrs.

At the moment I have 3 Samsung Green drives that seem to be the most reliable... with 2 of them being 6yrs old now and one about 5yrs old... they show up as Seagate drives according to the Seatools application.

Of the large capacity drives I've purchased over the last 6yrs (1.5TB and upwards)... this has actually been the first failure. I think the last drive failure I had was with a 9 month old WD 250GB from around 2007-2008. I RMA'd that for a replacement and sold it onwards as I purchased a 500GB to replace that... that drive is still working, it's the last IDE drive I ever purchased and now sits in an external USB enclosure although that's not actually in use at the moment. But it did 4yrs as the OS drive in my original mediaserver too.

If you look at it that I've purchased roughly 20 drives over the last 18-19yrs from a 6GB up to a 4TB and had only 1 failure within the warranty period (this drive is actually outside it's warranty after checking)... across Samsung, Seagate, WD and Hitachi.

I did purchase a 6TB WD green drive a few months ago, got it from Amazons Warehouse deals for £138... Upon installing it, I discovered my it had been returned in the first place. The SATA socket on the drive was damaged and it was immediately returned for a refund.

My only issue at the moment is that I am maxing out the SATA sockets on this board already... Had to unplug the bluray drive for storage capacity instead... I was hoping to replace the 1.5TB and 2TB drives with a single 6TB or larger drive to give me more room and allow the use of the BDrom again. Instead I'm replacing a 3TB & 1.5TB with 3TB drives. Which will extend my need for expansion a little further. I'll swap out the 2TB for a 4TB in 10-12 month and perhaps get a little NAS box for the spare drives I've got laying around, to expand it further.

Heckler

I must admit, I do love Amazon's same day delivery service... Ordered around 10am this morning and delivered by 5:50pm.

Drives installed, mounted and formatted... Now comes the many hours of transferring 3.5TB of data... Replacing the 2.4TB that was on the failed 3TB drive as well as everything from the 1.5TB drive (about 1.2TB in total).

I'm recreating everything as it was before, whilst freeing up a little more space on the 2TB drive... One of the new 3TB drives will be used purely for boxsets as I've got something like 1.7TB of those alone. I know emby can handle auto collections but I like having them stored together the old way.