Emby just crashed and disappeared

AndyBak

AndyBak

Need help on what to do next, was in the middle of watching a show (on xbox one) and it froze, check my Emby Server and it appeared not to be running. Tried to start it and got the message that the 'exe' could not be found, then on investigation it appears it was trying to perform an update.

Looking at the update log C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-InstallLogs it would seem it completed unsuccessfully and the original files have been deleted.

MediaBrowser.Updater.exe Information: 0 : Request: {"Operation":"Install","Product":"server","PackageClass":"Release","Version":{"Major":4,"Minor":0,"Build":-1,"Revision":-1,"MajorRevision":-1,"MinorRevision":-1},"ServiceName":""}
MediaBrowser.Updater.exe Information: 0 : Creating console update session for server
MediaBrowser.Updater.exe Information: 0 : Command line: "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System.old\MediaBrowser.Updater.exe" 
MediaBrowser.Updater.exe Information: 0 : Updating Emby Server to version 4.0...
MediaBrowser.Updater.exe Information: 0 : Starting extract package.
MediaBrowser.Updater.exe Information: 0 : Creating backup by moving C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system to C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System.old
MediaBrowser.Updater.exe Error: 0 : Error deleting previous backup. Access to the path 'MediaBrowser.InstallUtil.dll' is denied.
MediaBrowser.Updater.exe Error: 0 : Final extract failure.  Installation aborting.

Any ideas on how I recover this without having to do a fresh install and config?

Happy2Play

What server version?  All that log really says is the installer didn't have access to all the files in system so it could save current system folder to system.old deploy the new system folder.

Don't really understand this though

Updating Emby Server to version 4.0

Have you tried restarting the machine and reinstalling from website?  No settings will be lost.

AndyBak

Seems I'm now running Version 3.1.241.0 beta

The system.old folder was empty but I found a copy of the compressed file used for the new install, extracted the contents of that and dropped it into the system folder and it now starts up and works.

However seeing this install dates back to the original MediaBrowser days I wonder is it possible to do a fresh install but retain config settings?

Happy2Play

Well you could use the Server Configuration Backup plugin if you were looking to do a clean install.  Being on "MediaBrowser-Server" it doesn't/shouldn't really have any affect on anything.

Just have to remember compatibility issues between stable and beta/dev release cycle if you were going to downgrade. 

Seems I'm now running Version 3.1.241.0 beta

The system.old folder was empty but I found a copy of the compressed file used for the new install, extracted the contents of that and dropped it into the system folder and it now starts up and works.

However seeing this install dates back to the original MediaBrowser days I wonder is it possible to do a fresh install but retain config settings?

The backup and restore plugin can help you with this.

AndyBak

Well you could use the Server Configuration Backup plugin if you were looking to do a clean install.  Being on "MediaBrowser-Server" it doesn't/shouldn't really have any affect on anything.

Just have to remember compatibility issues between stable and beta/dev release cycle if you were going to downgrade. 

The backup and restore plugin can help you with this.

Perfect thanks. Will give it a blast at the weekend if I get time.