Sync task possible for automatic download of next unseen tv show episodes?

jhschulz

jhschulz

Hi,

is it somehow possible to create a sync task that always automatically downloads the next x unseen episodes of a tv show?

Initially it would download the first x unseed episodes. If the watched state of one of them changes to "watched", this episode should be removed from the android device (automatically) and the next available unseen episode should be downloaded. So that allways the next x unseen episodes are available offline.

Hi,  you can already do this by syncing a tv series at the series level. There are options to control these criteria.

jhschulz

I already tried this some time ago and it didn't work, so I was not sure if I did something wrong. But I don't know anymore, what exactly was the problem, so I'll try it again.

jhschulz

Hi Luke

I tried to create a series level sync task that downloads the next two unseen episodes of a series.

A few seconds after creating the sync task, the download of the next two episodes startet  :)  But each one multiple times :(

Initially, 3 downloads where running at the same time, one for one episode, and two for the other episode. The progress bar was jumping between three different positions and the filename was changing between the two episode names. After those three downloads finished, another download for the first episode started, and after that another download of the second episode startet. At the end one episode was downloaded 3 times, the other 2 times. (But only two files where created.)

The next day I changed the watched state of the first episode, but nothing happend. After a few minutes I tapped the sync icon on the downloads page - this removed the file of the seen episode, but did not start the download of the next episode. I had to tap the sync icon a second time to start the download of the next episode.

Yesterday I tried this again with another series (and the latest app version). After creating the sync task for the second series (again with max 2 episodes to be downloaded), nothing happend this time. No download startet. I had to tap the sync icon on the downloads page to start the download manually. (At least, this time each episode was downloaded only once, and one after the other, not both at the same time.)

After that I changed the watched state of the first episode and again had to tap the sync icon two times to remove the watched episode (first tap) and start the download of the next episode (second tap).

So, it is possible to create a sync task to download the next unseen episodes and remove seen episodes, but it does not run automatically and (sometimes?) files are downloaded multiple times (fixed in latest app version?). :(

Edited by jhschulz

It might not start immediately if it requires conversion on the server. You don't need to press the manual sync button inside the app. It will run on its own.

jhschulz

I always use quality=original, so no transcoding/conversion on the server. And after manually pressing the sync button (twice), the download started immediately. I waited 5-10 minutes (after opening the app) for the download to start, but nothing happened.

I'll try it again and wait a little bit longer.

Edited by jhschulz

The app registers an hourly sync job with the device, so if it doesn't start immediately, that's when it will happen.

• 7 months later...

@@jhschulz

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !