64-bit OS issue?

jeffbhe
Go to solution Solved by jeffbhe,

I also went through WMC and let the update trigger on its own and tried that route with the same error resulting in asking me to update manually...

OK, so here is something more: 

52e52c8a60dba_Capture05.png

When you had me delete the MediaBrowser folder I, of course, simply moved it to a network drive.  Therefore, in order to get the configurator file back I had to copy it back onto the server.  Anyway, I tried the update through the configurator and get the error above.

Okay, again, look at your common config file and be sure it looks like I suggested (in case it was changed again).

Then through MBC  run the update.

So I went back and looked to make sure I didn't screw something up.  Here's a screenshot of the config file to make sure...

52e5331452f26_Capture07.png

I also went ahead and rebooted my MB server machine and tried again by launching WMC and updated through... no luck...

Okay.  I'm at a loss.

The whole x64 thing is a red herring.  Windows is just offering up a guess at what may be the problem.

The problem is evident in the message you got from the configurator.  Look at that file path - it is mangled on the front end.  Something in your environment is doing that somehow.

newfiend

Ebr, any way for him to totally remove all software and start fresh by manually deleting the files and registry settings?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Jeff - think about everything you have installed in your environment since you installed MBC 100... anything stand out?

Also, if you look in c:\users\[you]\appdata\local\temp is there a MediaBrowserClassic.msi in there?  If so, what is the date on it?

The only things installed/updated are java, adobe and windows...  I have tried to install ServerWMC but cannot get it to connect yet and haven't been troubleshooting that further since I'm trying to get MBC updated.

The only MB stuff in the temp directory are Mediabrowser.InstallUtil.dll and Mediabrowser.Updater.

I can try uninstalling everything and re-install but at the same time I'd like to avoid that since it is all working so well, just can't update MBC.  I was able to update MB Server last week with no issue...  thoughts?

Just to jump in here.

I am running MB server on a 2k8 server and MBc on a Win7Sp1 -64 bit - all no problem - have been since they were released as beta

my settings are still for beta.  A couple UNC problems and a couple download problems, otherwise it has been really very stable in my opinion.

My thinking is on Win7 you may have a corrupt user profile.

Try creating a new Admin user

Sign in as this new user

download MB classic

when you go to run it - right click and run as administrator

it should see the mb server - if not turn your firewall off on the server

If this doesn't work there must be something up with your machine/OS

All the above is fairly benign and quick to do

Edited by hd4fun

So tried the new admin user suggestion... same issues and same problem when trying to install MBC...

Still at a loss on where to go with this...  everything still functions fine I just cannot update MBC...

Disorganise

clutching at straws but.....

might be worth checking environment variables?

simplest way is to open a cmd prompt and type "set" without the quotes and hit enter.

maybe your systemroot is messed up or something.

out of curiosity, are you able to update anything else, like java for example.

do u have the option of doing a roll back to a previous backup? windows normally makes a backup when u do an install do u might be lucky. I can't recall how to get there though as I'm on a bus.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Forum Fiend v1.1.7.

DGMayor

try going to a command prompt and running sfc /scannow and see if any system files somehow got corrupt?

Ran the command prompt (as admin) for "set" and don't really see anything wrong...  I was just recently able to update MB Server and Adobe with no issues...

Already looked into doing a System Restore but it doesn't go back to before I originally installed MBC...

Then tried running sfc /scannow...  it did find several issues and claimed to fix them.  Rebooted my machine and tried again to uninstall... and update... no luck...

newfiend

First make a System Image of your partially working system. Put it somewhere safe. if this fails you can reimage the OS drive and get right back where you are now..

A couple things to try..

Can you boot into Windows Safe mode and uninstall? Or even try Safe Mode with Network support and update?

If not.. I think what I would try next would be a complete removal of MB Server and then see if you can remove MB Classic then.. When you uninstall the server it gives you options to remove just the server and retain the settings you have made or remove everything. It's up to you what you want to try first. I would try and remove it all and delete any associated folders (both server and classic). You could then run CCleaner and do a registry scan and delete any registry errors it finds for Media Browser and delete them, Then reboot and try a complete reinstallation of MB. Hopefully removing all the associated files and registry settings will allow it to reinstall correctly. (make sure you backup your Media Browser supporter key for easier reinstallation later.) I know it stinks to have to go through all this and have to set it all up again but it may be the only way to fix it at this point.

If all else fails you could do a reinstall of Windows. It's an option, although probably an unwanted one as I know that can be a pain in the backend, but then you could start fresh and know you have a working and updateable software going forward or restore back to your image made above..

newfiend~

Edited by newfiend

• Solution

WHOILA!  I finally got it figured out!  Since I was having issues trying to update and/or uninstall MBC, I have been searching for a tool that could help me uninstall MBC when the normal uninstall program simply wasn't working.  I came across this:  http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall.  I ran this fixit program and it uninstalled MBC; made it disappear from the Control Panel Uninstall or Change a Program view.  I was still somewhat suspicious so I launched WMC and there was still the menu item for MBC.   So I clicked it and got an error of unable to launch application.  OK, now maybe we are getting somewhere.  Exited WMC and tried to install from the MB3 website client download.  NO LUCK!  Same errors as before...

Luckily ebr and I have had a private conversation going on about this issue and he shared with me the direct .msi for this latest release of MBC.  So I went back to that and tried to install.  SUCCESS!  And even when I launched into WMC, I got a notification that there was a plug-in update available; so I proceeded with that in which it was updating the Chocolate Theme.  Updated just fine!

In case someone else runs across a similar issue, another thing I noticed along the way was that the WMC icon for MBC had disappeared during this issue.  Once I was able to uninstall and reinstall with the latest version, that icon is back.  The icon was fine during my initial install of MBC BTW...  But like so many Windows issues I thought nothing of this...  B)

Looks like I'm running with updating options working again.

Thanks to all for throwing some ideas around!  :D

• Like 1

newfiend

Well sorry we weren't able to help you sooner.. Wow what a pain that must have been. Glad you guys got it sorted though. Congrats! PC's.. When they work their great.. When they don't....haha

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk