Inexpensive client hardware

clarkss12

clarkss12

Not sure if this is appropriate, but thought I would give my thoughts on an inexpensive client for my Emby running on my inexpensive server.  To begin, I have numerous different Android boxes and have been slowly testing them as an Emby client.

Today, my grandkids wanted me to crank up "The Santa Clause 2" movie to get into the Christmas spirit.  I chose to use my $40,  X9 Android TV box based on the Amlogic S905x as my client, it played perfectly using "Direct Playing".

I have not tested any live TV streaming with this box, for some reason the Live TV function is not working today.

Android box that I am using.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/X9-TV-BOX-Android-6-0-Amlogci-S905X-TV-Box-369327.html

Disclaimer, I have no affiliation with Geekbuying or any other seller of these boxes.  I purchase them as a hobby.

Media info attached.

Edit: Had to refresh the guide data for the Live TV guide and now it is working.

The Santa Clause 2 mediainfo.txt

Edited by clarkss12

Macburp

But this doesn't use the Android TV OS? It would be great if there was an Android TV ROM out there for use with these inexpensive boxes.

clarkss12

But this doesn't use the Android TV OS? It would be great if there was an Android TV ROM out there for use with these inexpensive boxes.

Pretty much any of these inexpensive boxes can run the Android TV OS, with custom Rom's, but they won't be true Google TV OS.  

I am running the Android TV OS on my Pine64 board and a port on my Tronsmart R68 Meta, but they will not play Netfix in HD. because they are not true Google TV OS.

Of course it you live in the USA, you can get the Xiaomi Mi Box for $69 plus tax at Walmart.  I have one, but rarely use it.  I also have the Nexus Player which I got lucky and picked up for $25 at Walmart when they were phasing them out.  It is collecting dust.

I also have the daddy of them, the Google ADT 1 developers box when they were giving them away.

Or, you could buy a sanctioned Android TV box and support the people who developed this OS that you covet :).

• Like 1

Macburp

Or, you could buy a sanctioned Android TV box and support the people who developed this OS that you covet :).

Got one. Love my Nexus Player. It would be nice if there could be a little more choice of Android TV boxes, that's all. :)