Slow Playback Stop and go REMOTE playback Problems FIXED

AFFASocial

AFFASocial

Gonna make this real simple for ya. In Emby Server Dashboard go to Playback, and click Streaming

Then select Internet Streaming bitrate limit (Mbps:)  and set it to 1 Mbps save it and PROBLEM SOLVED ..  I have tested this wile a full scan is running, also  from the Android Emby App, as well as on Android Google Chrome.  

They work perfect with a full scan Running.   

Keep in mind it may load a little slow wile scan is running but movies will play FLAWLESS.

Note once the scan is done everything is  SNAP FAST like it should be   :)

Also IMPORTANT Any root folder that have a name like "Movies - Horror" that have a "-" anywhere in the name causes problems with the SCAN

sub folders with the "-" in the name are OK JUST The Main Folder "WHEN I SAY root folder" I refer to the folder that holds all the movies and sub folder(s).

Edited by cnjnorton

AFFASocial

SO did I you will see a faster scan if you remove the "-"  Some apps like Office if you have a  ptf folder with a root folder name pdf-12222016 and go into the folder and select a file with or without - it will come back a blank wite page instead of loading in your selected app   :)

Happy2Play

SO did I you will see a faster scan if you remove the "-"  Some apps like Office if you have a  ptf folder with a root folder name pdf-12222016 and go into the folder and select a file with or without - it will come back a blank wite page instead of loading in your selected app   :)

And what does this have to do with anything?  Office and pdf's have no bearing on Emby.

AFFASocial

And what does this have to do with anything?  Office and pdf's have no bearing on Emby.

Well every time my system started it was re-hashing/scanning the folders with the "-"  this is a suggestions for anyone noticing this issue,  juts because its not effecting you in this way,  the tip is for those having the problem. EXAMPLE in the morning I wake and open my server and then my media icons show up and them i have a colored circle on the screen for about 3 minutes before the movies show up, this happens every time server is opened in the morning. I did a fresh install and only did 1 drive with the folders that had the "-" in the name and was able to duplicate the problem,,,   I then did a fresh install again and only added a drive that had main folders with no "-" and this issue went away.  My friend I have been hosting servers since probably before you were in diapers.  This tip is for those that see this same issue not for someone who say "what does that have to do with anything"  I don't try to make people feel stupid or less capable AS A TRUE MEMBER of "DEFCON" from the NAPSTER and ~The Forum~ days HELPING is caring and Knowledge is POWER,  so I share it :)

Also for the 1Mbps setting in streaming, People logging in are actually playing DIRECT at max Speeds with no remote issues at all  on my system and if I change the 1mbps to even 2 the remote playback issues occur   :)

They Call me AFFA  "Always Free For All"  Where sharing is is caring and everything else is just everything else   :)

Edited by cnjnorton

Happy2Play

Well every time my system started it was re-hashing/scanning the folders with the "-"  this is a suggestions for anyone noticing this issue,  juts because its not effecting you in this way,  the tip is for those having the problem. EXAMPLE in the morning I wake and open my server and then my media icons show up and them i have a colored circle on the screen for about 3 minutes before the movies show up, this happens every time server is opened in the morning. I did a fresh install and only did 1 drive with the folders that had the "-" in the name and was able to duplicate the problem,,,   I then did a fresh install again and only added a drive that had main folders with no "-" and this issue went away.  My friend I have been hosting servers since probably before you were in diapers.  This tip is for those that see this same issue not for someone who say "what does that have to do with anything"  I don't try to make people feel stupid or less capable AS A TRUE MEMBER of "DEFCON" from the NAPSTER and ~The Forum~ days HELPING is caring and Knowledge is POWER,  so I share it :)

Also for the 1Mbps setting in streaming, People logging in are actually playing DIRECT at max Speeds with no remote issues at all  on my system and if I change the 1mbps to even 2 the remote playback issues occur   :)

They Call me AFFA  "Always Free For All"  Where sharing is is caring and everything else is just everything else   :)

Sorry, but setting streaming to 1Mbps and Direct Play only apply to media that has a bite rate less than 1Mbps.  So a movie that has a bite rate of 5Mbps gets Transcoded.  But glad it works for your needs.  And having a "-" in Library folder name, I see no difference in performance having "Movies" or "Movies - Horror".  Best guess would be improperly configured libraries.  As for age well your not that much older. ;)

Edited by Happy2Play

AFFASocial

You might be missing the point,, SINCE the last update tons of folks are having slow playback from remote users  and everyone was waiting for a fix.  I have a fast connection and i was able to put any SIZE in the stream mbps setting,  for whatever reason if anything other than 1  EVEN LEAVING IT BLANK is causing this particular issue for a whole bunch of users,,,

Happy2Play

Exactly what the description states.  

An optional streaming bitrate limit for all out of network devices. This is useful to prevent devices from requesting a higher bitrate than your internet connection can handle.