emby randomly crashes

trekker25

trekker25

Have a Qnap TS809 pro with sonarr/couchpotato and emby setup. sonarr and couchpotato notify emby on new episodes/movies.

running emby 3.085

after several minutes/hours of running (and not playing anything in Kodi) the website for emby is unreachable.

Checked the logs and found this crash log:

2016-11-25 14:39:40.1803 Info App: Removing missing/unaired episode Elementary 2x24
2016-11-25 14:45:25.9128 Error Main: UnhandledException
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.8500.0
    Command line: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Emby/Emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
    Operating system: Unix 3.4.6.0
    Processor count: 2
    64-Bit OS: False
    64-Bit Process: False
    Program data path: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Emby/Emby/ProgramData-Server
    Mono: 4.2.1 (Stable 4.2.1.102/6dd2d0d Sat Nov 21 10:02:10 EST 2015)
    Application Path: /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/Emby/Emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    System.NullReferenceException
     at System.IO.InotifyWatcher.ProcessEvents (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 length) <0xee0056b0 + 0x00216> in <filename unknown>:0
     at System.IO.InotifyWatcher.Monitor () <0xefa18000 + 0x0008b> in <filename unknown>:0
     at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context (System.Object state) <0xf4a0e520 + 0x00066> in <filename unknown>:0
     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) <0xf4a0dd98 + 0x001b2> in <filename unknown>:0
     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) <0xf4a0dc90 + 0x00027> in <filename unknown>:0
     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state) <0xf4a0dbd8 + 0x0004f> in <filename unknown>:0
     at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart () <0xf4a0da20 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0 

Any idea how i can fix this. As a medialibrary that needs a reset every xxx hours is unworkable for my wife watching episodes :)

the crash seems rather not very specific on why.

Hi, as a temporary workaround, try clicking into each library in library setup and disable the realtime-monitor. That will make the above error go away.

A better fix would be updating to a newer mono. I will talk to a QNAP rep about that. Thanks !

• Like 1

trekker25

Thanks For the quick reply / semi -answer.

Makes me confident to become a Emby paid member. Already tried the iOS app and works good (starting a movie may be a bit faster)

Is the Mono package built in the qnap emby pavkage, or can inupgrade Mono myself?

It's built in I'm pretty sure. But our qnap contact is working on an overhaul of the package to eliminate all of the unnecessary choices. I will ask him to include a mono update as part of it. Thanks.

trekker25

Superb! Read another overview of plex vs emby and tomorrow Will take a life time for Emby.

Finnaly somethimg that works on my iPhone/tablet and perfect integration with kodi for living room / bed room. Also curious how good offline works on phone/tablet when on travel!

trekker25

last question about transcoding.

on my iphone 6s running Planet Earth II; 1920 x 1080.

On Emby Dashboard it says Direct Streaming. But in the process list of my Qnap the process ffmpeg is running with a 30-40% cpu load.

Can it be direct streaming with a 1920 x 1080 to a iphone 6s which has a lower screen resolution?

Also i'm testing the playback, after 3 minutes it hangs. Will be doing more testing, but if this is the case the Premiere membership is not worthwhile. And maybe have to checkout Plex (which has iOs sync already done!)

EDIT more testing: second run of the eposide: now ffmpeg is not active on CPU process list, but after 3:04 the playback just stops. I can click Play/Pauze but nothing works. Only option is to click Done.

In the dashboard i see a preview of the show and a green bar (i assume how far i am) and a red bar (buffer??). If i drag the time slider a few minutes than it continues to buffer and starts playing again.

My wifi network has been testen on my iPhone has at least 100mbit+

Any suggestions? Tomorrow more Kodi playback testing!

Edited by trekker25