Download problems, bugs, questions

jhschulz

jhschulz

Hello,

for some weeks now I use the emby android app to download movies and tv show episodes to my android phone, to watch them offline on my way to work. As the app still has no offline mode, I use another app to watch the videos and only use the emby app to download the video files and manually change the watched state.

Unfortunately, there are some problems, bugs, questions.

1) I don’t want the video files to be transcoded. So each time I select a video for download, I (have to) change the quality setting to "original". Is it somehow possible to set this as default, so that I don’t need to change this for each single download? I haven’t found a way yet.

2) After selecting a file for download, it appears on the "downloads" page of the app, with "50%" in front of it. What is the "50%" supposed to tell me? The download has not yet started and the 50% does not change until the download is completed. So, it is not the download progress, as one would expect.

3) If the downloads page is displayed at the time a download finishes, everything disappears from the list and a text is shown, that no downloads are there. You have to switch to another page (like "home") and then back to "downloads" to get the correct list. (bug!?)

4) Sometimes the download does not start automatically after selecting a video for download. To start it, you have to click on the "sync" icon in the upper right corner of the downloads page. Why?

5) While a download/synchronization is running, there is an android notification with a progress bar. Sometimes this progress bar jumps between two or more different positions (and the download is slow). It looks, as if there are two or more download task running at the same time, all of them downloading the same file(s) and all of them updating the progress bar to there current position. Sometimes this happens "by itself", but there are (at least) two ways to reproduce this behavior:

- Select a video file for download and wait until the download process has started and the progress bar has some length. Now select another file for download, this seems to start another download task and the progress bar starts to jump between its original position and the start. Its getting worse, if you select even more files for download.

- Click on the "sync" icon in the upper right corner of the downloads page while a download is already running. This seems to start another download task, each time.

6) The download notification has a time value in the upper right corner, but it shows 00:00 most of the time. Sometimes it counts to 00:01 or 00:02 but then jumps back to 00:00. What’s this supposed to be? (By the way: I have an android wear smart watch connected to my phone and I see the emby download notifications there too, but all I see on the watch is the name "Emby" and this time value. It would be nice to have a percent value instead.)

7) If the connection to the emby server is lost while a download is running, the download seems not to restart by itself if reconnected, and if restarted manually (via "sync" icon on downloads page) it restarts from scratch, removing the already downloaded part of the file.

8) Is it somehow possible to create a sync task that automatically downloads the next x unseen episodes of a tv show? If the watched state of one of them changes to "watched", it should be removed from the android device (automatically) and the next available unseen episode should be downloaded.

Edited by jhschulz

jhschulz

No replies yet? Maybe too many problems/questions/bugs for one post!? OK, I'll split it into different posts. This thread may be closed then.

Hi, apologies for the delay. This post has been in my queue of things to look at, but yes if you're going to create new topics that will be easier.

nwcatalyst

I'm experiencing many of these myself.

Most notably, trying to sync playlists vs individual files results in constant re-syncing of the same songs and never finishing the task.

I don't feel comfortable posting a log to this forum as it contains more info than I'd like avail in a public place, so if the developer can provide me an email address I will happily email directly to support fixing this.

• 7 months later...

@@jhschulz

@@nwcatalyst

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !