Genre Cleaner not working

CharleyVarrick
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

CharleyVarrick

Earlier this afternoon, I purchase a lifetime Emby key, in significant part to get to use Genre Cleaner

So one of the (many) things that's not working is I dumped the Family genre.

When I go in plugins/Genre Cleaner/Movies, the Family genre is not showing anymore. (as expected)

But not only is it alive and well in Kodi (unexpected), its even showing still in Emby when I go Media/Movies/Genre (unexpected)

??

CharleyVarrick

Yes, the one within the Genre Cleaner plugin called Scan Library

Then also went out of plugin page to library and from there hit scan library

CharleyVarrick

Genres appears, and for family, just under the tile it says 445 movies, If I click the family tile, I get some movies, just a few, but I've seen this before, its not designed to be exhaustive, isnt it?

BTW, from Kodi, if I go Movies/Genre/Family, I do get 449...

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Oddly enough, the Family genre is gone this morning, from both Kodi and Emby,

It just took a very long time to do so, without any visible indication something was going on in the background.

Question: in my scenario, I trashed the Family genre from Genre Cleaner, of the 450-ish shows that were tagged as Family genre among others (multi genres: Family-Action, Family-Comedy, etc), what if a show had only Family as genre, what happens to it, does it become a "blank genre" show?

The plug-in will delete that genre where ever it occurs.  So, yes, if a movie had only that as a genre then it would then have none.

sualfred

For me it's not working,too.

Example:
I've mapped the genre "Abenteuer" to "Action" and I still have Abenteuer left in my database. Even after a manual triggered library scan. 

Btw: the Scan library button does nothing in the plugin setting.

CharleyVarrick

Btw: the Scan library button does nothing in the plugin setting.

Same here, it sort of flashes but there's no indication of activity or progress afterward.

Oh, and Genre cleaner works partially here, for tv shows its 100%, for movies, its 50%

CharleyVarrick

I'm back to square one.

From Dashboard/genre cleaner/movies, the family genre is gone, because I trashed it.

Yet if I go media/movies/genres, Family is right there among other genres, and selecting it shows related movie.

If I go to Kodi/movies/genre, family is also there and offers same movies.

Wondering how I can fix this as genre cleaner only offers to delete or map to, no create or undelete of genre

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

I thought my tv shows were setup just the way I want them, but I just discovered something weird.

In the cleaner plugin tv page, I show 25 categories, in Kodi I show only 20

???

CharleyVarrick

I'm guessing I need to reset this to default.

I've already uninstalled/reinstalled Genre Cleaner, but it seems to have kept its settings.

If I navigate to appdata/roaming/emby-server/plugins/configuration I see genrecleaner.xml

I uninstalled the plugin, shutdown Emby, then deleted this XML file, then restart Emby and reinstalled the plugin, things seems to be back to defaults...

So starting from a clean slate, I go to the plugin settings and delete Family genre, save, scan library from settings (which doesn't seem to work), for peace of mind I go to dashboard/library and hit scan library from there (this way looks like its doing something), once finished I go in Kodi and sure enough, Family genre is alive and well.

Same deal if I navigate emby media/movies/genre

???

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

Can you post your server log.  It may show errors why the genre isn't being removed.

• Solution
Happy2Play

Testing this I get the same result of Genre not being removed with a library scan and Library Scan within plugin doesn't trigger a library scan.  But refreshing the media removed the genre.

Genre Cleaner 1.0.2.2

Tested with Animation.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

OK, I'm refreshing media as well, not sure how long it takes for about 450 pieces of media...

EDIT: After 15 minutes, the number of Family media decreased by about 22, so it still has a long way to go

EDIT#3: Half an hour in, Family's down by 75, tick-tick-tick...

You still need the log even though you reproduce it?

EDIT#2: That's good progress nevertheless, at least now, something's happening!

It looks like library scan (from plugin or dashboard) does very little if anything, as opposed to refresh media

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

@@Happy2Play

Family genre is gone, thanks to your refreshing tip (pun intended) :P .

One more thing, I just merged (map to) 2 genres and I didn't even bother with scan library, just refresh media does the trick!

• Like 1

Ok so this is an issue of getting the refresh to happen after making changes in the plugin. Thanks, we'll take a look.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play

Family genre is gone, thanks to your refreshing tip (pun intended) :P .

One more thing, I just merged (map to) 2 genres and I didn't even bother with scan library, just refresh media does the trick!

The only issue with this process is it is hitting the metadata providers instead of just pruning/merging the genres.

I've pushed an update to GenreCleaner to resolve this. It has a dependency on the next server release though so you won't have it until that's been released.

Happy2Play

V1.0.2.3 appears to have done the trick.  Tested on dev 3.1.6173.24172.

Line 700: 2016-11-26 14:59:51.2242 Info App: Genre 'Animation' removed from metadata for Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League vs. Bizarro League.
	Line 784: 2016-11-26 15:00:03.0130 Info App: Genre 'Animation' removed from metadata for The Hobbit.
	Line 789: 2016-11-26 15:00:04.1923 Info App: Genre 'Animation' removed from metadata for The Hobbit.
	Line 900: 2016-11-26 15:00:11.3924 Info App: Genre 'Animation' removed from metadata for Despicable Me 2.
	Line 909: 2016-11-26 15:00:12.5660 Info App: Genre 'Animation' removed from metadata for Inside Out.
	Line 2840: 2016-11-26 15:00:34.7704 Info App: Genre 'Animation' removed from metadata for Despicable Me 2.
	Line 2896: 2016-11-26 15:00:40.8008 Info App: Genre 'Animation' removed from metadata for Inside Out.
	Line 2948: 2016-11-26 15:01:01.5720 Info App: Genre 'Animation' removed from metadata for Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League vs. Bizarro League.
*Duplicate libraries exist on this test machine, that is why the duplicate removal is seen. Edited by Happy2Play

• 1 month later...
CharleyVarrick

This morning, I had some minor genre cleaning to do and I'm happy to report everything is now working as expected, it's crisp and fast and the Scan Library now does exactly whats it's supposed to do. Genres are quickly updated in Emby. As well, Kodi reacts within seconds and updates itself accordingly. Not sure which of the last 2 minor updates did the trick, but good job to anyone involved! :wub:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
CharleyVarrick

Unfortunately, Genre Cleaner is not working again, or at least not on its own.

I had genre "Romance" which I didn't care for, so I trashed it but Emby server still list 14 tv show under this category.

I refreshed my tv show collection and it looks like its slowly removing the Romance genre.

I thought refreshing a collection was not a mandatory step since the last fix (?)