On reboot, server startup failing: duplicate process

Marc_G
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi folks,

I've got a new problem. When I reboot the computer, or when Windows reboots itself, the server automatic startup fails. This is what I see in the log; it's after a natural planned shutdown to do some hardware maintenance:

2016-11-23 12:28:19.6701 Info Main: Emby
 Command line: C:\Users\HomeTheater\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
 Processor count: 2
 64-Bit OS: True
 64-Bit Process: True
 Program data path: C:\Users\HomeTheater\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
 Application Path: C:\Users\HomeTheater\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
2016-11-23 12:28:19.6801 Info Main: Emby
 Command line: C:\Users\HomeTheater\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
 Processor count: 2
 64-Bit OS: True
 64-Bit Process: True
 Program data path: C:\Users\HomeTheater\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
 Application Path: C:\Users\HomeTheater\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
2016-11-23 12:28:19.7991 Info Main: Found a duplicate process. Giving it time to exit.
2016-11-23 12:28:19.7971 Info Main: Found a duplicate process. Giving it time to exit.
2016-11-23 12:28:49.7975 Info Main: The duplicate process did not exit.
2016-11-23 12:28:49.7975 Info Main: Shutting down because another instance of Emby Server is already running.
2016-11-23 12:28:49.7995 Info Main: The duplicate process did not exit.
2016-11-23 12:28:49.7995 Info Main: Shutting down because another instance of Emby Server is already running.

I let it sit a few moments hoping for server to come up. Never did. After a while I manually started the server; here is the log (attached as a file). It started fine.

I am now seeing this problem every time I shut down the computer and restart it. This is a new problem, sometime in the last few weeks; not sure exactly when it started.

Thoughts to sort it out? Thanks in advance.

Marc

server-63615501347.txt

• Solution

That's not a failure, that looks like more than one instance is starting up, so you need to find out where that's coming from, pick one and disable the other. Maybe its the windows service.

• Like 1

Hmmm.

Quizzical stare, factor three.

This makes sense, though it's not clear to me how the system went from normal startup on reboot to multiple instances... I haven't installed anything lately and indeed even set my updates to manual (because I've had the problem where it fails to restart Emby properly after software update). In other words, I didn't do anything to make it have multiple instances trying to start up on reboot... I just have checked the "Run server at startup" box (years ago, when I installed for the first time).

That all said I'll head down there and poke around. Currently I'm running a recording of live TV to see if another recording gets wrong metadata as a further troubleshooting to my other thread, over in Live TV.

Fun stuff on my day off :-)

I'll report back with whatever I find.

(by the way my server is currently up to date on 3.0.8500.0)

Marc

Edited by Marc_G

OK, problem sorted, and as usual Luke was right.

In the Startup folder there were entries for Media Browser Server and Emby Server.  I removed the Media Browser Server entry, leaving just the Emby one, rebooted, and all is well. The server started without incident.

Something must have changed recently where the two instances being called to start like this trip over each other and both fail, where as previously one of them would have succeeded.

Anyway, that's one down!

Marc

Happy2Play

Surprised this is a new issue and not really old considering you are still on a MediaBrowser-Server install.