Correct recording, but wrong metadata

Marc_G
Go to solution Solved by pünktchen,

Hi folks,

I've just completed my first recording using Live TV, successfully recording an episode of Supergirl with my new HDHR Extend. Yesterday I set up the Schedules Direct account, and downloaded the guide, then selected from the guide an 8 pm to 9 pm episode of Supergirl to record this evening.

The recording occurred at the correct time and recorded the correct channel. The recording was placed in a folder\file Emby created called \Supergirl\Season 2\Supergirl S02E07 The Darkest Place.ts

Looks good so far.

Then I opened up Emby for WMC on my HTPC and lo and behold it now showed a Recorded Series group. Aha! :-)

Then I went into Recorded Series and the joy stopped. The only show listed is "Open Season 2" which is an animated comedy. The same Open Season 2 movie shows up in Recorded Movies. Playing it plays the supergirl show that was recorded.

Any idea what went wrong here? Clearly Emby knew what it was recording!

If I open up the Emby server via my browser, and go into my collections, I see the same show (Open Season 2) listed there. But a weird thing is that if I open up Emby for WMC on my desktop (where I'm typing now), Recorded Series and Recorded Movies are both empty. No items. That's strange. Everything else about my collection meshes with what I see in the web client or on my HTPC.

Anyway, any idea how to fix this and prevent it from happening in the future? I did try going into the metadata manager, and Identifying the title... but it came back with no results even if I typed a name of "Supergirl S02E07" into the search parameters. See attached pic from the metadata manager.

I'm guessing something is configured wrong, and would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance folks!

Marc

post-489-0-27854300-1479782088_thumb.jpg

Indeed there is!

However, it refuses to upload. I keep getting a failed upload message, even if I make a copy of it on my desktop and try uploading that. I then tried adding a .jpg extension (tvshow.nfo.jpg) since I know JPGs upload, and even that fails.

Huh. Let's try a different browswer. Hang on.

OK, trying again.

Wow. Even in Chrome the original file or the one with an extra .jpg doesn't upload.

So I turned it into a .txt file and this is what was in there:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<tvshow>
  <title>Supergirl</title>
</tvshow>

Any idea why I'm having upload issues with this file? I was able to upload a picture of a ZPM... so the upload technology itself isn't failing me. I think it just doesn't like the tiny <1kb file.

post-489-0-00759400-1479816224_thumb.png

Thanks Luke. Two Libraries came into being when I did my first recording, that I didn't personally cause to be there. Maybe they were there all along and I ignored them, or maybe the system generated them upon the recording.

They are called Recorded Movies and Recorded Series. They are set as content types Movies and TV, respectively.

post-489-0-35006400-1479859591_thumb.jpg

It's "Open Season" on metadata!

OK, I tried recording another show. An episode of Charlie's Angels, which just happened to be on right when I wanted to do a test recording.

I set it up to record, and at the correct time the correct channel started recording. At the correct time the recording stopped. The recording was placed into a correct folder\ file  that Emby created named:

\Charlie's Angels\Season 2\Charlie's Angels S02E12 Angels in the Wings.ts

However, when viewed in either the Emby web app or my HTPC via Emby for WMC, it's just "Open Season 2."

See attached pic.

5835efc09902e_OS2.jpg

How very strange. What further information can I send to help you troubleshoot this?

Thanks again

Marc

• Solution
pünktchen

Thanks Luke. Two Libraries came into being when I did my first recording, that I didn't personally cause to be there. Maybe they were there all along and I ignored them, or maybe the system generated them upon the recording.

They are called Recorded Movies and Recorded Series. They are set as content types Movies and TV, respectively.

Both recording libraries are set to the same folder "Other Media"! How should Emby differentiate if the content is movie or tv?
  • Like 1

Interesting thought.

When I set up my Live TV stuff a few days ago, I just stuck them there in "Other Media" for convenience. I will re-route them to be separate and see if that fixes it. Great catch.

Right! @punktchen's answer let me sort it out.

I created two new directories... LiveTVSeries and LiveTVMovies and then went to the Live TV settings, changing the default recording path for Movies and Series to match up with the new folders. This gave me a note that old content would need to be manually migrated if desired (which I did). Emby made new libraries, Recorded Series1 and Recorded Movies1.

In Emby for WMC and in the web app I now see proper metadata, imagery and so forth. I guess having two libraries with different media types set to the same physical location was a stupid thing for me to do, and it confused Emby. Not sure how it came up with "open season 2" but the key thing is I'm moving forward now. Problem solved.

THANKS

MArc