Emby Icon on Android TV optimization

m-joy

Emby App Icon  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Emby Icon on Android TV ugly?

• Yes
    • No

Hi there,

this is a small thing, but i really think the app icon on android TV box is very ugly for emby. It reminds me of the old windows 95 background. This scary green in the background.

I wonder if there may be some changes, since the app itself is extremly beatiful designed.

Greetings

MrWebsmith

i guess i dont see an issue with it... do you have specific suggestions as its basically a consistent icon look across most of the apps in the emby world..

if you have some ideas and would be able to mock them up and post them, we could gauge interest, otherwise.. im "ok" with the current as well

• Like 1

PhinkBig

Hi there,

this is a small thing, but i really think the app icon on android TV box is very ugly for emby. It reminds me of the old windows 95 background. This scary green in the background.

I wonder if there may be some changes, since the app itself is extremly beatiful designed.

Greetings

I don't hate it, but I wonder what it would look like with a all white background, like the Play Store tile that just rolled out for Android TV.

Edit - Sort of like this:

58330e7099f80_EmbyAndroidTVLogo.png

Border added to for visibility here: 

58330f743a859_EmbyAndroidTVLogo.png

Edited by PhinkBig

Hello, the app icon shown in the app drawer is what i am refering to. The background color is exactly what is making it kind of ugly, thanks phinkbig for the icon, the white is really much better. Or maybe a dark grey...

There is no "app drawer" on Android TV so I'm still lost as to exactly what you are referring to.

Can you take a screen shot?

PhinkBig

There is no "app drawer" on Android TV so I'm still lost as to exactly what you are referring to.

Can you take a screen shot?

I'm assuming he is referring to the banner icon on the Android TV homescreen:

583349a788ed1_55214db9a4b70_suggestions.

(I grabbed this off the launch post, I know it's been updated since then)

Ebr, the icon from your picture. The blue and white background... I think it would be cooler with white only or dark grey background like it is on the xbox...

Well, that is the tile we are using in multiple places and I think it fits in nicely on the device.  White is boring.  Notice how most of the other apps also have colored tiles.

PhinkBig

Well, that is the tile we are using in multiple places and I think it fits in nicely on the device.  White is boring.  Notice how most of the other apps also have colored tiles.

I don't mind the color, I just liked how the new Google banners looked with white. I'm not sure if it's the color background, but it seems like the "emby" letters are fuzzy...but that might just be me.

And these are incredibly minor quibbles, the banner has never stopped me from using the app!

I think the reason he (and I) think it's ugly is because of the gradient in the back. Notice how all of the other apps use a flat color in the background? The flat color just fits better with android's material design. As for color options that can be anything from shades of gray/black, blue, or a different shade of green. If you don't want to use a white background you can use the Archos video player icon as a template.

My personal suggestion is to make the background a darker green and change the Emby font to white so it matches the play button.

We're not changing the emby font :) but moving to a flat color is a good idea.

However, a couple of you have mentioned "a different color green" and that background is decidedly blue...

CBers

We're not changing the emby font :) but moving to a flat color is a good idea.

However, a couple of you have mentioned "a different color green" and that background is decidedly blue...

The new 1.2.78 icon looks different!

I think the background is too dark, but I'll get used to it :)

• Like 1

I basically just made it like the banner at the top of this forum.  I also think that's how it currently looks on the mobile apps so would be consistent with those now.

I think the dark is a little boring and had planned to use a nice blue but then realized that our icon would probably be invisible to blue/green color blind folks :).

For those who don't have the beta:

58419d13ae9c8_app_icon.png

• Like 1

Sorry but I just could not take that "dull" background color.  Plus, it was a little too close to another app...

So, coming next will be the below.  If there are b/g cb people who have trouble with this, please let me know.  Thx.

5842f5101fdf4_app_icon.png

• Like 3

PhinkBig

Sorry but I just could not take that "dull" background color.  Plus, it was a little too close to another app...

So, coming next will be the below.  If there are b/g cb people who have trouble with this, please let me know.  Thx.

5842f5101fdf4_app_icon.png

I dig it.