Losing connection to server during playback

murraymint

murraymint

Hi,

I have been struggling with this for a couple of months now and can't figure it out.

My emby server is on a Win7 PC, and the client is on a HTPC running Win10, with WMC and the emby plugin installed. MPC-HT is being used as an external player.

When I play videos on the HTPC, playback freezes at apparently random times (sometimes within 10 mins, sometimes an hour) and will not resume without restarting MPC. What is strange is that I have been running this setup without any issues for a year or so, but only starting to encounter these problems when I moved the server temporarily and had it running of WiFi for a week. The HTPC was also running Win7 during this time; both changes were at approximately the same time so I can't tell if either could be a potential cause.

To try and narrow down whether it is a network issue, I have connected the server directly to the router via ethernet but the same problem persists.

Strangely, the only solution I can find is connecting the server PC to the network via WiFi (N): when I do this I am able to playback files without any issue; however, it does make browsing a bit sluggish, particularly launching the client app which takes a few minutes to start sometimes.

I have installed all windows updates, checked for updated drivers for the network adaptors, replaced network cables, checked powersaving settings are turned off but nothing has helped so far.

In the attached logs I started playback at 4:11pm, and playback freezed at about 31minutes; I have cut out the 4<5pm time period but can provide full logs if required. 

Fixing things like this is a bit outside of my IT knowledge so I would really appreciate any ideas of things to fix this.

Thanks!mbclog20161120.txtserverlog20161120.txt

Since an external program is the one that is freezing we can't be sure exactly what's going on but I do see this in your log when trying to report progress which would suggest either the server is going offline (or to sleep maybe) or some other network interruption.

Exception.  Type=System.Net.WebException Msg=Unable to connect to the remote server 

murraymint

Since an external program is the one that is freezing we can't be sure exactly what's going on but I do see this in your log when trying to report progress which would suggest either the server is going offline (or to sleep maybe) or some other network interruption.

Exception.  Type=System.Net.WebException Msg=Unable to connect to the remote server 

Hmm, I'll try the internal player and see if there is any difference.

That does make me think it might be network related though; just seems odd that the issue doesn't come up when connected via WiFi, unless my ethernet adapter has somehow developed a fault.