Some videos do not have smooth playback

nick.becker65

nick.becker65

Hi all,

I did some searching on the forums before posting here.  I have ripped some DVDs and used handbrake on them using the high profile.  Some playback is perfectly smooth and some are not.  For instance the hangover is smooth for the most part and the fellowship of the ring is not.  First snippit below is from fellowship of the ring, the second one is from the hangover. My firetv is up to date on the app and I have tried wirelessly on my AC wifi network and I have tried wired through a powerline adapter.  Any other thoughts?  My firetv does fine with netflix streaming and most of the amazon videos.  5830fe11630b1_FellowshipoftheRingCapture5830fde375386_HangoverCapture.jpg

Not sure what "not playing back smooth" really means but the obvious difference is the bitrate.  The one that you say plays well is about 1/2 the bitrate of the one that doesn't.  However, neither are particularly high bitrates.

If the items were transcoding, the transcoding logs would be helpful.

How to Report a Problem

nick.becker65

Do you mean transcoding on the server? Or transcoding on handbrake from mkv to mp4? I don't have transcoding turned on for the server because I don't have a GPU for it, it's a headless system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I mean by the server.  You don't need a GPU to transcode.

If the server is transcoding there will be logs with "ffmpeg" in their name.  See the link I posted above.  Thanks.

nick.becker65

I've tried setting the server in the past to Intel quick sync but found that it was worse.  I'll pull up the log when I get a chance to sit down with my server.  My system is an Ubuntu 16.04 VM on a xenserver; this resides on a Dell R710.  When I tried the Intel transcoding option in the past the FFmpeg version was set to custom and pointed to a version with the emby server setup 20160215.  Is this correct?

You are talking about hardware acceleration which is not the same as transcoding in general.

The first thing I would try is set that setting to "Auto".

nick.becker65

I downloaded the file and extracted the files and placed them in a samba share folder that I could access from my windows machine.  I can see the files in there but when pointing in the transcoding option from the web server portion to that samba share folder I get a message back that it cannot find the files.  Should I place the files from the samba share somewhere else?

nick.becker65

I ended up creating a folder /var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/20160410 and placed the 2 files in there.  I pointed the transcoding path to that folder and still receive a message back from the server that it was unable to locate the files.

try pointing it directly to the ffmpeg exe file. also, make sure you've granted execute permissions on the file or emby won't even be able to run it.

I'm sorry, this is all my mistake. I completely goofed and missed the part that you're on linux. Sorry, please ignore everything I've said beginning with post #8.

nick.becker65

Ok so what are your thoughts then?  Do I need to change the bitrate of the files I transcode in handbrake or what do i need to do? When I used handbrake I set it to a constant quality of 20 for ripping.  Is it something I need to change in my server settings?  Is the hardware acceleration option under transcoding related to this issue?  Right now I have it set to none, there is no auto option.  Just none or intel, nvidia, etc.  As previously stated national lampoons christmas vacation played smooth for 95% of the duration of the movie but when I tried lord of the rings it was not smooth at all.  As previously stated there is a difference in the above images of the files.  I'm just trying to get this to dvd playback quality right now the wife thinks this has been a big waste of time due to video playback not being consistently smooth. 

Please explain exactly what "not playing back smooth" means.

It looks like the transcode is happening plenty fast so you could just be dealing with a framerate problem.  Depending on your hardware that may or may not work well with 24p content.  Have you tried toggling the framerate switching option in the app?

Can your TV switch to 24hz?

nick.becker65

I'll try to record a video snippet tonight or tomorrow to show what I mean by playback not being smooth. I'll also run some experiment with frame rate experiments with the tv.

nick.becker65

Ok I was going to do a video yesterday and didn't have time to investigate the app. I just checked the app and did not see anything about framerate. I saw options for streaming speed and that was set to auto and I saw options for external player and audio options.

Sorry, I forgot the Fire TV doesn't support that option.

So, that is probably what you are dealing with here - stutter from bad pull-down of mismatched frame rates and refresh rates.

nick.becker65

Is there a fix for this? Do I need to rip the DVDs differently and encode them differently?

Does your TV have the ability to switch refresh rates?  If so, you can see if manually changing it solves the issue.

Other than that, I'm not aware of how to change the frame rate of a source.  I suppose maybe it is possible with something like handbrake - maybe it can apply a pull-down technique that is superior to your display's but I'm not familiar enough with it.

This problem has existed ever since DVDs came out and people started trying to display 24 fps content on 60fps displays.  The algorithms for compensating for this have improved a lot over the years and newer TVs tackle it by matching the frame rate with different refresh rates.

The first thing I'd do is see if your TV has a 24 or 48hz mode.

nick.becker65

I tried changing some of the refresh rates and it was better but was not able to get it completely fixed on the TV side.  I then re-ripped a movie and dragged it into handbrake.  I changed some of the settings to constant framerate 29.97, bitrate of 3000 kbps with 2 pass encoding, and under the optimise video slider I had set it to very slow.  The video turned out really well without any playback issue on my firetv.