Stop Transcoding in Emby Theater and External Players

kayoemby

kayoemby

Need help please.

My files are locally accessible yet Emby Theater and External players (through emby) transcodes all files!! I never watch movie outside my home so I don't need this transcoding.

How do I stop this behavior and force Direct Play?

I know this problem is peculiar to Emby theater because the same behavior exhibits on Fire Tv yet Kodi (through emby addon) on Fire Tv and on Windows 10 always Direct play my movies.

Again for clarity, my files are locally accessible since the same drive letters are mapped on my local pc and on the server.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

kayoemby

Hi Luke.

Emby Theater version 2.5.29.

Technically server is not on the same machine though structurally yes. I run the server 2012R2 in a HyperV on Windows 10, and the Emby Theater is on the Windows 10 machine. The Windows 10 is in the server domain and has free access to the shares on the server (I have checked, and no problem with access). Also I must say, even with transcoding, playback is smooth but for obvious reasons I have no use nor need for the transcoding. And as I noted previously, Kodi through emby addon plays Direct play.

Thank you.

So if it's not on the same machine, and your server library is setup with drive letters (E:\), then how will Emby Theater be able to reach that?

kayoemby

Hi Luke.

My Emby Theater is set up with smb Mapped drive M:\ on my server. The same drive is mapped to M:\ on my windows 10. This shouldn't be a problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I used to use straight network path 192.x.x.x, I have no problem reverting back to that mode. I had my reasons for changing to mapped drive.

**Anyway, this is what I have confirmed now!!**

With the External player, it is definitely giving Direct Play. The dashboard is reporting incorrectly Transcoding. I have confirmed this by monitoring resources on my server while playing hevc 265 10bit file and definitely no transcoding going on.

Please advice me with regards to mapped drives. My thinking is this shouldn't be a problem provided the same drive letters are been used.

Thanks.

Mopar_Mudder

I have noticed the same thing. Emby Server and Emby Theater on on the same windows 7 machine, movies are stored on an unRAID server. When watching a Blu-ray that is saved in folder format the Emby Server says it is transcoding. But my Receiver is reporting it is getting a DTS-MA signal. If it was transcoding would I not loose DTS-MA?

Mopar_Mudder

I have noticed the same thing. Emby Server and Emby Theater on on the same windows 7 machine, movies are stored on an unRAID server. When watching a Blu-ray that is saved in folder format the Emby Server says it is transcoding. But my Receiver is reporting it is getting a DTS-MA signal. If it was transcoding would I not loose DTS-MA?