Apple TV App - Intranet Only

mpearon
Go to solution Solved by corey,

We are experiencing an internet outage where I live, and I've found that the Emby app on our Apple TV 4 won't connect to the server on the same LAN.

Does the app check in online during startup? If so, can this dependency be removed?

• Like 1

• Solution

Hi,

The Apple TV app is a "client server" application as termed by Apple. This means that application code is downloaded as needed to run the application. Therefore without a stable internet connection (at least the very first time you exercise all the functionality) the application will not function properly.

Having an entirely local version of the Emby Apple TV app has been expressed on other threads but I don't believe there is any timeline at the moment to introduce it.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thank you for the information! Hopefully it hits the list at some point...but I wouldn't think it would be very high-priority. How often do these things really happen?

Again, thank you for your quick response!

If/when the Apple TV OS handles automatic caching and fallback to locally stored versions, then we will never need to do anything in this regard. So this feature request could be here or also be taken to Apple, where it would then apply to all apps that are built the same way.

• 3 weeks later...
Michael K.

How often do these things really happen?

This issues happens very often for me, on a weekly basis, because the region of the world I live in does not have reliable internet service. I imagine this is true for many users who are outside of areas with reliable internet like the USA or Europe.

It's frustrating to be limited by an unnecessary dependency of the internet, for what would otherwise be a perfect solution.

Unfortunately, Apple has designed the Apple TV to not work in this way. As @@Luke mentioned - Caching is very limited on the Apple TV 4. I ran into the same issue with an app I developed for Apple TV 4.

The Apple TV app is a "client server" application as termed by Apple. This means that application code is downloaded as needed to run the application. Therefore without a stable internet connection (at least the very first time you exercise all the functionality) the application will not function properly.

Having an entirely local version of the Emby Apple TV app has been expressed on other threads but I don't believe there is any timeline at the moment to introduce it.

Is it feasible to store a local copy of the Apple TV code on the local Emby server, and then the user be given an option to save that local path within the Apple TV app? ...when the app starts, it would pull code from the Emby server...

If Emby @@Luke can fix this, I would be willing to pay a price - like a premium version of the Apple TV app.

Edited by Michael K.