Certain videos not playing

Macburp
Go to solution Solved by BeppoMonkeyBoy,

Macburp

I'm having some issues with some of my content not playing in the Android TV App - more specifically, I get audio but no video. The vuideo plays in the we app, which makes me think its an app issue and not the server (?). Here's the video details -

Media Info
VideoCodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate2298 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames2
NAL4
AudioLanguageund
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate127 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleUnd AAC stereo Default
Embedded ImageCodecMJPEG
Level-99
Resolution150x84
Framerate90000
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuvj420p
Ref frames1
DefaultNo
Containermp4
Path\\HIGHVIEW\Video\Documentaries\Storyville\Season 2014\Storyville-s2014e16_Velorama.mp4

I'm running the latest version of the app on a nexus player. Could you let me know what logs you need and I will provide.....

many thanks

Please provide the actual version number from the app.

Also, try disabling refresh rate switching if it is enabled.

Macburp

Please provide the actual version number from the app.

Also, try disabling refresh rate switching if it is enabled.

Refresh rate switching is disabled. No need for such things this side of the pond.

App version is 1.2.76g. I think I signed up for the beta of the app long ago, but not sure.

Also worth mentiioning that I can get video to play on the NP if I use an external player, but I don't want to use those. MX player worked well, but was terrible at remembering the play state.

This is a wild guess but what happens if you take that image out of the file?

Also, I assume if you turn the bitrate setting in the app down to 2Mb it plays fine?

Macburp

OK, so I found out that atomic parsley will remove any embedded artwork in an mp4 or mkv. Fortunately get_iplayer uses that, so I was able to remove the mjpeg. File details are now - 

VideoCodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate2298 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames2
NAL4
AudioLanguageund
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate127 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleUnd AAC stereo Default
Containermp4
Path\\HIGHVIEW\Video\Documentaries\Storyville\Season 2014\Storyville-s2014e16_Velorama.mp4

I played the file at my default bit rate in the app (15Mbit/s) - no video. I then played it at 2Mbit/s, and the video played! However I tried to play it at 3Mbit/s the video disappeared again.

Thoughts welcome. :)

Macburp

get_iPlayer?

I remember those days :)

:) I'd almost stopped using it since I got the NP, and was able to cast iplayer to it. The other day I used it for the first time in a while, after I updated to the latest version and downloaded, the content played fine in the ATV app. The file that won't play ball is more than a year old, only just getting around to watching it now.

• Like 1

We have had reports of this type of issue with iPlayer videos in the past.

CBers, didn't you have this problem at one point?

CBers

We have had reports of this type of issue with iPlayer videos in the past.

CBers, didn't you have this problem at one point?

Don't think it was from iPlayer, just a BBC programme recorded via Emby Live TV, I think.

Spaceboy

no, not me. my only problem has ever been DVBS2 dual audio.... and on that note  :)  any other ideas you want me to try, information i can provide you with?

I found the old topic.  We fixed it in those cases by seeing the error and re-trying with a transcode.  I'm afraid the issue now is probably that no error is being reported.

Macburp

Is there any more information I can provide? A log? a clip of the video? I recently downloaded some content via get_iplayer and it works fine in the app, would you like the video parameters of that?

• Solution
BeppoMonkeyBoy

its the embedded images, remove them an it should work fine, I remove them by passing them through the mkvmerge gui, same way i rip out unwanted audio tracks and embedded subtitles, i use get_iplayer for kids shows for my son, they played fine on everything but the firetv app, stripped out the embedded pictures and wrapped it in an mkv, and it sorted it all out.

• Like 2

...stripped out the embedded pictures and wrapped it in an mkv, and it sorted it all out.

Might be the combination of those things.  Thanks for the info.

CBers

The first minute of the offending video is below, as discussed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22367822/Macburp%27s%20file%20that%20won%27t%20play%20in%20ATV.mp4

I had trouble playing that in MX Player on my Shield TV.

I had to change the decoder to SW to get video.

Hope you didn't mind me downloading it :)

• Like 1

Macburp

I had trouble playing that in MX Player on my Shield TV.

I had to change the decoder to SW to get video.

Hope you didn't mind me downloading it :)

Thanks for helping out. I found the audio on that clip to be very choppy, so I've upgraded my copy of avidemux and made another clip, which is much better. The same link should work, so if you'd like to have another try I'd appreciate it.

• Like 1

Macburp

its the embedded images, remove them an it should work fine, I remove them by passing them through the mkvmerge gui, same way i rip out unwanted audio tracks and embedded subtitles, i use get_iplayer for kids shows for my son, they played fine on everything but the firetv app, stripped out the embedded pictures and wrapped it in an mkv, and it sorted it all out.

Well, this has worked. I suspect I'll need to give this treatment to a fair few more videos in the months to come. Worth saying that my most recent two downloads from get_iplayer have not had this problem.

Thanks