Movie Poster thumbnails

Silvercloak

Silvercloak

Hi folks,

This may have already been asked and answered, if so - I'm sorry for repeating this but...

Alot of my movies (and some TV shows) are coming up with thumbnails from a frame in the movies.  I REALLY despise this - if I can't get a decent poster of the movie then I don't even want to see the thing listed in my Movie list.  Poster or nothing at all.  Is there a way to set this up?

And for the love of God, how do I force this thing to download posters?  Some movies don't even have  thumbnail, it's just a colored tile with the movie title on it.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Silvercloak

Silvercloak

I had gone into that menu several times before but I had no idea the screen grabber item was part of the problem.  I simply didn't realize it was getting thumbnails from the videos themselves.  I had thought it was, just like the others, a repository of posters for the videos.  

Perhaps putting it in a separate list or having a descriptor right next to it would help make it obvious that this is what's creating video thumbnails.

Thanks. How about this?

how do I force this thing to download posters?

Can we go over some examples so that we can get to the bottom of that? Thanks !

Silvercloak

Thanks. How about this?

how do I force this thing to download posters?
Can we go over some examples so that we can get to the bottom of that? Thanks !

Oh that was pretty much the same problem. I wanted it to get movie posters and not the fugly screen grabs for movie thumbnails. Anyways even after stopping the screen grabber it still showed thumbnails for my movies.

I ended up clearing the jpg and nfo files out, deleting the db for the library and that reset everything so... Now I wait to see how it does with rebuilding the library.

Disabling the screen grabber only prevents new thumbnails from being created, you got that right? It's not going to erase existing ones.

Silvercloak

Disabling the screen grabber only prevents new thumbnails from being created, you got that right? It's not going to erase existing ones.

I realize that.  That's why I wiped the library and rescanned it...

• 1 month later...
aspdend

Well now I'm not getting crappy screencap thumbnails but I'm also not getting any posters.  AUGH.

On my system, lately, I have found that sometimes there are thumbnails provided from screengrabs instead of posters and if I go to "edit images" and search for the relevant images, they are all there - sometimes logos, banners etc have downloaded, sometimes not - if I search and download the images, it all updates and works fine. Not sure why sometimes not all the available images download. Not a major issue as it is workable. Have you tried using the triple button icon and from the pop up menu >edit images>search and download?

On my system, lately, I have found that sometimes there are thumbnails provided from screengrabs instead of posters and if I go to "edit images" and search for the relevant images, they are all there - sometimes logos, banners etc have downloaded, sometimes not - if I search and download the images, it all updates and works fine. Not sure why sometimes not all the available images download. Not a major issue as it is workable. Have you tried using the triple button icon and from the pop up menu >edit images>search and download?

Because most images are turned off by default. Have you enabled them under Metadata settings? Also, check the per library setting to download images in advance or not. By default, we don't download images until they are actually needed by an Emby app.

Silvercloak

ACK Sorry I had a total brainfart and thought I was writing in the Kodi Forum.  Emby is doing fine with the movie posters now.  It's the frigging Kodi on my computer that's driving me up the wall.

Angelblue05

To fix artwork in Emby for Kodi, you will need to run a repair sync by launching the addon. This is because the url to artwork is saved in the database. They need to be updated. You can try doing a repair sync for movies only and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silvercloak

I'm not sure what add on you're talking about.  I looked for an Emby add-on in Kodi, or a repair add on and I can't see it... 

Angelblue05

Oh, so you are not using Emby for Kodi. Nevermind then. What I said does not apply to your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silvercloak

Nope, Running emby to stream to my phone or other places I go to.  Kodi to watch locally at home.  They're both running parallel but I don't think they would conflict with each other as they use different databases as far as I'm aware.

aspdend

Because most images are turned off by default. Have you enabled them under Metadata settings? Also, check the per library setting to download images in advance or not. By default, we don't download images until they are actually needed by an Emby app.

AFAIK I have enabled them under the metadata settings and thought I had set the per library download in advance  - but I will have to check

Once you change the setting it only applies to new refreshes going forward. It will not go back and start downloading for existing content based on the changes unless you manually refresh content.