Android Emby App - Can't connect remotely to my reverse proxy of Emby

Magic815

Magic815

Hi there,

So I currently use Caddy to reverse proxy to all of my services - including Emby.

Right now, I'm able to remotely connect to Emby within a browser by simply going to:

https://mydomain:10443/emby/

(The reason for 10443, is that I run my server behind a VPN, and port 443 cannot be forwarded by my VPN provider.) But again, remotely connecting via the browser has been working perfectly for a while now, and I've had no issues there as long as I type out the address exactly as above.

However, I would now like to be able to remotely connect to Emby via the Android app, and I can't seem to get it to work. When I sign in via the Emby Connect method, it's able to find my Emby server, but is then not able to connect. I have a feeling my Emby remote settings may not be set up the right way, but I'm struggling to figure out how to type in the '/emby' subpath. Right now, with any new server I try to connect to via the Android app, it only allows me to type in a domain name/IP, and a port number.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Magic815

pir8radio

Hi there,

So I currently use Caddy to reverse proxy to all of my services - including Emby.

Right now, I'm able to remotely connect to Emby within a browser by simply going to:

https://mydomain:10443/emby/

(The reason for 10443, is that I run my server behind a VPN, and port 443 cannot be forwarded by my VPN provider.) But again, remotely connecting via the browser has been working perfectly for a while now, and I've had no issues there as long as I type out the address exactly as above.

However, I would now like to be able to remotely connect to Emby via the Android app, and I can't seem to get it to work. When I sign in via the Emby Connect method, it's able to find my Emby server, but is then not able to connect. I have a feeling my Emby remote settings may not be set up the right way, but I'm struggling to figure out how to type in the '/emby' subpath. Right now, with any new server I try to connect to via the Android app, it only allows me to type in a domain name/IP, and a port number.

Any help is appreciated.

Why do you use /emby vs say emby.mydomain:1044 ?    I have found with reverse proxies, messing with the subpath creates all kinds of rewrite headaches if you don't cover all of your possibilities within rewrite rules, on top of the issue you have run into, apps that may not allow subpaths.

Edited by pir8radio

Magic815

Why do you use /emby vs say emby.mydomain:1044 ?    I have found with reverse proxies, messing with the subpath creates all kinds of rewrite headaches if you don't cover all of your possibilities within rewrite rules, on top of the issue you have run into, apps that may not allow subpaths.

Subpaths were simply what I was seeing when I first stumbled upon reverse proxies. I can look into figuring out how to rewrite the Caddy file to get it to work via emby.mydomain instead, but I'm still new to all this. Should it be an easy change in my Caddy file?

But so in reading between the lines, are you saying that a reverse proxy to a subpath is not supported by the Android app? If that's the case, I guess I've got to look into the emby.mydomain option. But if it could be supported, I wouldn't mind keeping the subpath method as-is, if possible. Emby is one service I use of many, and I currently have all of them working via subpaths. I'm able to remotely connect to all of my services through the reverse proxy with no issue. And Emby is fine via the browser. It's just Emby via the Android app that has the issue for me at the moment.

pir8radio

Subpaths were simply what I was seeing when I first stumbled upon reverse proxies. I can look into figuring out how to rewrite the Caddy file to get it to work via emby.mydomain instead, but I'm still new to all this. Should it be an easy change in my Caddy file?

But so in reading between the lines, are you saying that a reverse proxy to a subpath is not supported by the Android app? If that's the case, I guess I've got to look into the emby.mydomain option. But if it could be supported, I wouldn't mind keeping the subpath method as-is, if possible. Emby is one service I use of many, and I currently have all of them working via subpaths. I'm able to remotely connect to all of my services through the reverse proxy with no issue. And Emby is fine via the browser. It's just Emby via the Android app that has the issue for me at the moment.

I may be mistaken but on the iPhone app it doesn't look like i can enter a random subpath.  I would assume the same for the android client.    Sorry I can't help with Caddy I use nginx. 

Its working for the web gui because  http://server/emby/  is an actual path that works for the http server, I'm not sure if the client/apps use or can use the /emby/ subpath.  Ill let someone with more app knowledge speak to that..   :)